Framingham/Worcester Line Questions

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

diburning

Re: Framingham/Worcester Line Questions

Post by diburning »

Or how about moving the pedestrian crossing and/or having one at each end of the platform? At North Leominster on the north side, for example, if the inbound train arrives on Track 1, the train usually stops short of the pedestrian crossing, allowing passengers to cross the tracks to board the train. If they moved the pedestrian crossings so that each one is on the opposite ends of the platform, regardless of the direction of travel and track used, the train can always stop clear of the "second" one so that people can cross over safely once the train has stopped.

troffey

Post by troffey »

Current MBTA policy is not to build pedestrian crossings within stations, so I'm not sure you'd get them to move existing ones without putting them outside the station. The distance that one has to travel to change sides of the tracks is part of the reason it can be problematic to not know which track the train will arrive on.

diburning

Post by diburning »

An even better idea would be to have the engineer spot the train so that a set of doors is on the (existing) crossing if there is one, to let people board there without having to go around.

I'd suggest a mid-platform bridge, but I'd imagine that it would have to be ADA accessible, which means either a long ramp or an elevator on both ends.

dbperry

Post by dbperry »

New blog post about change to operations in the AM. Although I frame the blog post as speculation, my 'guess' at the operational change is accurate. It didn't work perfect on the first few days, and then Thursday AM was a complete AM meltdown, but the couple of days when the operational change worked properly it did mitigate some delays of P586.

https://framwormbta.weebly.com/blog/p58 ... get-better
"Twitter Dave"
Engineering Manager, MBTA
MY POSTS HERE ARE UNOFFICIAL and are my own personal opinion. My posts are not official MBTA policy or communications.
https://twitter.com/FramWorMBTA
http://FramWorMBTA.weebly.com/
MBTA schedule archive: http://www.dbperry.net/MBTA/

rethcir

Post by rethcir »

I got out at Newtonville last night and had a realization. The distance between the two “heads” (the bridges with stairs) are so far apart at this station, why would you bother building elevators, or even stairs for that matter? Make high level middle platforms and a long sloping ramp down from each bridge suitable for able bodied and differently able persons alike.

I know that moving tracks and excavation to gain more space aren’t cheap, but taking this basics approach could save millions of dollars (eliminating 4 elevators, etc) and it would probably apply to the other newton CR stations as well.

The EGE

Post by The EGE »

Long ramps are very far from ideal for accessibility. They're a lot of effort for people using wheelchairs or other mobility devices (walkers, for example), and can be dangerous because of the possibility of slipping and rolling. That's doubly true for outdoor ramps, where even with roofs it's difficult to prevent snow and ice. Long slopes are difficult on the knees and ankles - many people who can handle short ramps, and even some stairs, have problems with long ramps. For any vertical distances about ~8 feet, elevators + stairs is the proper way to provide accessibility for all.

QB 52.32

Post by QB 52.32 »

Elevators (and stairs) may provide the best solution, but, hopefully any future elevators put in place will be designed for outdoor use with as much shelter from the elements as possible, unlike the elevators put in place at the Framingham station. These elevators were not designed to be exposed to the elements, are vulnerable to the corrosion of moisture and salt, and, consequently, have had reliability issues.

Return to “Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)”