Railroad Forums 

• Danvers/Peabody Commuter Rail

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#941616  by johnden223

What options remain for future commuter rail expansion to Danvers and Peabody? It is difficult to track which branch lines have been leased/abandoned for rail trails, which are rail/landbanked, etc. Obviously it is possible to go from trail back to rails, but statistically it is almost never done, and there is no reason to think it will ever be done again.

There are 2 routes to get to danvers. One is via Salem - Peabody - Danvers. The route into peabody is currently in use to service Eastman Gelatine. From what I have heard, the branch from peabody toward newburyport is leased to trail, so no future service there.

The other route is via the western in wakefield along the old line from wakefield - topsfield - newburyport. This has also been designated a trail corridor.

So basically the state has forever given up on commuter rail to Danvers? Am I missing something?
 #941723  by Trinnau

I guess they figure Beverly/Salem/Lynn is close enough - or Wakefield if you live on the extreme west end of Peabody. Remember they have a parking garage going up at Salem and they just announced plans to upgrade the station/parking at Lynn. At this point it's probably way to costly to make it worth the return.

Using the existing Eastern Route via Salem would require extensive track rehab and bridge rebuilding (depending on how far toward Peabody you go). The best routing would be the re-installation of the wye in Salem instead of having to switch ends north of the station. Another problem is capacity on the Eastern Route, which already services the Newburyport and Rockport lines. Now you're talking about putting more trains through the single-track bottleneck at Salem, or looking at an even more costly tunnel project. They probably also don't have the equipment to run a full commuter schedule - and all the stations below Salem already have good service from the two feeding lines. You could make some of these express trains to offset this.

Coming via Wakefield the biggest hurdle is Route 1. Would absolutely need a grade separation at this point. Major highway or rail project (or both). Again you'd need an extensive rebuild and some bridge work (like the other route). Western route lacks capacity as well, even more so than the Eastern. 261 upgrade, more double track. However, existing Reading turns could be turned into Peabody runs - probably better operationally as far as existing equipment and schedules go.
 #941745  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Prabody/Danvers is still a high-priority MPO expansion project and critical piece of the North Shore Transit Improvements study. The trails on these ROW's all start beyond the routes under consideration, the towns want CR on the rest, and the T is not letting the ROW's to 128 be reserved for anything but future CR use. It's not a Big Dig mitigation project unto itself, but conducting the North Shore Improvements study was. That whole effort hinges on maxing out Eastern Route service to Salem. Peabody/Danvers should have much greater urgency than it's been given because it's what will ramp up the inner Eastern Route frequencies, and because of the very short length it is the cheapest CR extension project on the MPO ratings save for Plaistow. Stalled for the same old reasons...@#$% South Coast Rail and other financial chaos sucking all oxygen out of the room, and longstanding institutional inertia against doing any system enhancement projects ever.

Routes under consideration:

-- Route #1: Peabody, then the North Reading Line to North Shore Mall/Route 128 (Exits 25 & 26, about 3/4 mile before the 95/128 split). Pros: closer to the 95 split and Route 1, serves Lahey Clinic, 2 nearby 128 exits, no wetlands. Cons: 3 grade crossings past Peabody center, slightly closer residential abutters.

-- Route #2: Peabody, then the Newburyport Branch to Endicott Plaza/Route 128 (Exit 24). Pros: A little closer to Danvers center, no grade crossings past Peabody center, ROW better-buffered in a cut near residential abutters. Cons: needs rebuilt trestle over Waters River (+ wetlands permitting), further from 95/128 split, only 1 nearby 128 exit, somewhat longer walk to Liberty Tree Mall parking than North Shore Mall at other site, slightly longer restoration length (1-1/4 mile vs. 3/4 mile) on full-abandoned ROW.

-- They did not consider the active PAR South Reading Line at all, even with the OOS portion past Eastman Gelatin still tracked and reaching the 128/95 split. Too sparsely populated, mostly light industry en route, not close enough to Danvers.

There's prelim design diagrams online somewhere (North Shore Transit Improvements Study documents?), but I can't locate them at the moment. The preferred alternative was to do both branches as sort of a Kingston/Plymouth Cordage Park setup, with fallback being North Shore Mall branch solo. Reason for doing both was #1's highway access coupled with #2's closer proximity to downtown Danvers, and both are so short they're still inexpensive. Seems operationally awkward to do both, though, and while Salem Tunnel could juggle one short-turn branch OK in the near-term (note: the P/D extension is not contingent on a new tunnel), two stubs is pushing it to detriment of service levels on each. Plus you're only talking a mile-plus distance between terminals on each stub so seems like superfluous cost to do both. Maybe if #2 went closer to Danvers Square and didn't stop at Liberty Tree/Endicott proper the dual stubs would be a better deal, but it pays little more than lip service to Danvers-proper ending there. Unfortunately poking closer to downtown requires a second bigger trestle to be rebuilt over the Crane River, much more sensitive environmental permitting, and potential citizen opposition from residential abutters in the denser neighborhoods. More $$$, less bang for buck.

Second stub isn't really needed anyway. Of Danvers' 4 T bus routes 3 of them stop at both North Shore and Liberty Tree Malls, and 2 of the 3 routes that terminate at Danvers Sq. loop to both malls. There's a lot of route duplication overall from Salem and Peabody on the length of this extension, which is one reason why it's a high-priority project. Lot of existing transit riders saddled with crappy, not-frequent-enough rides on overstretched routes. They'd be able to nicely simplify some of those trips and make the bus routes a lot locally faster, plus eliminate the need for many folks to transfer to express buses in Salem if CR availability made got them buying CR zone passes over bus pass only.
Last edited by F-line to Dudley via Park on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #941757  by F-line to Dudley via Park

FatNoah wrote:
There's prelim design diagrams online somewhere (North Shore Transit Improvements Study documents?), but I can't locate them at the moment
Ask and ye shall receive:
http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/t_pr ... sp?id=1012

Danvers-specific items are about 1/2 way down.
That's a lot of riders. +6000 new daily CR riders, +2600 new daily transit riders with the North Shore Mall option. +5600 new daily CR riders, +2200 new transit riders with the Liberty Tree option. They estimate 25% of the total riders on the branch would be existing CR riders diverted from Salem to closer to home, which really relieves Salem parking capacity for additional growth.
 #942166  by johnden223

Thanks for the info. I always assumed the target of the extension would be Danvers square, not the mall or 128. I guess it is all about parking and park-n-ride ideas, something that the eastern route does not currently have. An extension to the mall and 128 seems like a win-win, but I guess not politically motivated enough.

It is a shame to lose the connection between wakefield - danvers that connects the eastern and the western route. Compared to the hingham tunel, I don't think a bridge over route 1 is that much work. But I also see how that would be a much more expensive and less-effective extension than going salem-peabody-128.
 #942170  by johnden223

This may be a far-fetched idea, but instead of running stub-service to Danvers, perhaps a loop from BON - wakefield - danvers - peabody - salem - BON would help alleviate congestion on the routes. Pipe dream, maybe, but this would serve a lot of population areas and would make a nice inter-city shuttle service, especially if they could work in a closer stop to the malls.
 #942213  by Trinnau

johnden223 wrote:It is a shame to lose the connection between wakefield - danvers that connects the eastern and the western route. Compared to the hingham tunel, I don't think a bridge over route 1 is that much work. But I also see how that would be a much more expensive and less-effective extension than going salem-peabody-128.
I'm not familiar with the Hingham tunnel (I've lived on the north shore nearly my whole life), but it's a little more complex than building a bridge over Route 1. Heading east from Wakefield the line crosses Route 1 at grade, passes behind a building, crosses Lowell St at grade, then immediately after that goes under I-95. I'm no civil engineer but I don't think there is enough room to go up-and-over Route 1 at the existing crossing and get back down to go under I-95 with a reasonable grade - especially with the other grade crossing in the mix. The old North Reading toward Peabody is pretty much wiped out by the Route 1/I-95 interchange, so that's out of the question without some really serious work.
 #942335  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Trinnau wrote:
johnden223 wrote:It is a shame to lose the connection between wakefield - danvers that connects the eastern and the western route. Compared to the hingham tunel, I don't think a bridge over route 1 is that much work. But I also see how that would be a much more expensive and less-effective extension than going salem-peabody-128.
I'm not familiar with the Hingham tunnel (I've lived on the north shore nearly my whole life), but it's a little more complex than building a bridge over Route 1. Heading east from Wakefield the line crosses Route 1 at grade, passes behind a building, crosses Lowell St at grade, then immediately after that goes under I-95. I'm no civil engineer but I don't think there is enough room to go up-and-over Route 1 at the existing crossing and get back down to go under I-95 with a reasonable grade - especially with the other grade crossing in the mix. The old North Reading toward Peabody is pretty much wiped out by the Route 1/I-95 interchange, so that's out of the question without some really serious work.
You're thinking South Reading Line. Route 128 is the South Reading Line from Exit 44 (1/128) split to Exit 42 (Salem St.) in Wakefield. B&M abandoned it in 1927 and the state highway dept. snapped it up and opened the first segment of 128 on top of the old railbed in the late-30's. There's only a short traceable segment of ROW remaining on the last mile through Wakefield to Wakefield Jct. Kept going arrow-straight where the current highway does its little northward "hump" over Lake Quannapowitt. They did that because the route was so redundant with the Danvers Branch two-thirds mile north that nothing of significance was lost.

North Reading Line is the other northerly east-west line through Peabody. Started on the North Shore Mall-alignment ROW, then crossed the Danvers Branch at Exit 46 (95/1), then turned north onto what's now the Independence Greenway Trail. MBTA landbanking ends at intersection of Route 62 (Boston St.) and Russell St. at the Peabody/North Reading/Middleton town lines. That segment was active well into the 90's, I think. Past there it's B&M/pre-MBTA abandoned untrailed ROW through conservation land to Park St. North Reading, chopped-up residential encroachment to Route 28, then clear to the old junction that ran along the right side of I-93 north from the Exit 41 (Route 125) ramps to Western Route right at the 93 overpass.

I kinda hope they do trail the rest of the North Reading for preservation. There's a power line ROW running about 1000 feet south where a little detour off-alignment from Central St./Ipswich River Park. curving around the back of Moynihan Lumber to the power lines (which then cross back over the original ROW halfway between 28 and 93) would bypass all the encroachment. It's like 2 houses directly across the street from each other at Park St./Mt. Vernon Rd. left as blockers after that. 2 houses are detourable now with a trail and negotiable in 60 years for something else if the ROW's already under active public use (even as non- RR landbanked). It's not available at all if you leave it be and some developer comes along and drops new residential subdivision sprawl on top of Moynihan Lumber. Might as well lock it up for trail routing so whatever discontinuity's left is whittled down to a single residential intersection and maybe at most a block or two of "HIngham-able" gap. Operationally Wakefield Jct. doesn't permit any south-to-east and north-to-west movements with the Danvers Branch. And if you envision the Orange Line ever going out to Reading it's a moot point to look to the Danvers Branch as your Eastern-Western radial link...there isn't enough room to tri-track through downtown Wakefield and Reading the way OL+CR are in Medford and Malden. Would be good at the century level to have at least one other pretty near-completely preserved option. Eastern Route is the only mainline that doesn't have an active radial connector. Throw in 100% intact landbanked lines, and Eastern + Old Colony are the only mains that don't have at least two radial connections guarded under legal protection. That seems like a future hold worth preserving where you can preserve it.

I just find it amazing that there used to be FIVE separate B&M branches that could get you between Peabody Sq. and the Western Route, and now there isn't even one.
 #942444  by Trinnau

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:You're thinking South Reading Line. Route 128 is the South Reading Line from Exit 44 (1/128) split to Exit 42 (Salem St.) in Wakefield. B&M abandoned it in 1927 and the state highway dept. snapped it up and opened the first segment of 128 on top of the old railbed in the late-30's. There's only a short traceable segment of ROW remaining on the last mile through Wakefield to Wakefield Jct. Kept going arrow-straight where the current highway does its little northward "hump" over Lake Quannapowitt. They did that because the route was so redundant with the Danvers Branch two-thirds mile north that nothing of significance was lost.

North Reading Line is the other northerly east-west line through Peabody. Started on the North Shore Mall-alignment ROW, then crossed the Danvers Branch at Exit 46 (95/1), then turned north onto what's now the Independence Greenway Trail. MBTA landbanking ends at intersection of Route 62 (Boston St.) and Russell St. at the Peabody/North Reading/Middleton town lines. That segment was active well into the 90's, I think. Past there it's B&M/pre-MBTA abandoned untrailed ROW through conservation land to Park St. North Reading, chopped-up residential encroachment to Route 28, then clear to the old junction that ran along the right side of I-93 north from the Exit 41 (Route 125) ramps to Western Route right at the 93 overpass.
No, I'm talking about the North Reading aka Independce Greenway Trail. If you follow it west from the mall and continue west past the end of the trail you'll run smack into the high-speed 95/1 interchange (over/under) just south of the existing Danvers Branch Rt 1 grade crossing. The RoW almost disappears here but you can see power lines. Continuing west past 95 and 1 you can see where the junction was with the Danvers Branch. The trail resumes just west of that. I was referring to being able to come up the Danvers and turn onto the North Reading to head towards the mall as an alternate crossing of Rt 1.
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:I kinda hope they do trail the rest of the North Reading for preservation. There's a power line ROW running about 1000 feet south where a little detour off-alignment from Central St./Ipswich River Park. curving around the back of Moynihan Lumber to the power lines (which then cross back over the original ROW halfway between 28 and 93) would bypass all the encroachment. It's like 2 houses directly across the street from each other at Park St./Mt. Vernon Rd. left as blockers after that. 2 houses are detourable now with a trail and negotiable in 60 years for something else if the ROW's already under active public use (even as non- RR landbanked). It's not available at all if you leave it be and some developer comes along and drops new residential subdivision sprawl on top of Moynihan Lumber. Might as well lock it up for trail routing so whatever discontinuity's left is whittled down to a single residential intersection and maybe at most a block or two of "HIngham-able" gap. Operationally Wakefield Jct. doesn't permit any south-to-east and north-to-west movements with the Danvers Branch. And if you envision the Orange Line ever going out to Reading it's a moot point to look to the Danvers Branch as your Eastern-Western radial link...there isn't enough room to tri-track through downtown Wakefield and Reading the way OL+CR are in Medford and Malden. Would be good at the century level to have at least one other pretty near-completely preserved option. Eastern Route is the only mainline that doesn't have an active radial connector. Throw in 100% intact landbanked lines, and Eastern + Old Colony are the only mains that don't have at least two radial connections guarded under legal protection. That seems like a future hold worth preserving where you can preserve it.

I just find it amazing that there used to be FIVE separate B&M branches that could get you between Peabody Sq. and the Western Route, and now there isn't even one.
It really is fascinating to look in the area on a satellite view and see what is left of the boom times of railroading. Google Maps (map view) still shows the South Reading right up to the 128/95 split, and you can clearly see where it would join the Danvers in Wakefield where 128 turns. The Danvers is intact as railroad all the way on the map view (Wakefield to Salem), and the Topsfield continues up behind Danvers High, has a brief break, and picks up again briefly in Topsfield proper along Route 97.
 #942601  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Trinnau wrote:It really is fascinating to look in the area on a satellite view and see what is left of the boom times of railroading. Google Maps (map view) still shows the South Reading right up to the 128/95 split, and you can clearly see where it would join the Danvers in Wakefield where 128 turns. The Danvers is intact as railroad all the way on the map view (Wakefield to Salem), and the Topsfield continues up behind Danvers High, has a brief break, and picks up again briefly in Topsfield proper along Route 97.
Danvers Branch is the only one that's 100% under landbanking protection because it was in-service until 2001 or so. And of course the South Reading Line isn't even abandoned...it's OOS between Eastman Gelatin and the industrial park at the end of the line, but PAR has (uncharacteristically) retained the unused portion I think at behest of town of Peabody who want the option to attract new business at the park by dangling rail access. The line officially hasn't shrunk any further since 128 was built 65 years ago.

North Reading and Newburyport Branches at the time the MBTA bought the B&M lines were only active to Route 62 and Topsfield, respectively. So those are the only parts with retained RR operating charters that qualified for the landbanking statute. But yeah, there's lots and lots of ROW intact that isn't landbanked in the sense it's still an operable railroad but does have the land ownership locked up by the gov't almost entirely. The classic example of rail trails being used as a conservation measure on owned but not chartered ROW's are the Bedford Branch and Reformatory Branch rail trails. Both abandoned by B&M in 1962 way before landbanking was a legal option, but now locked up and unencroachable. Bedford trail even has an add-on proposal seeking funding to fill in the last half-mile of trail gap in Billerica so the ROW is completely, 100% locked up end-to-end.

Restoration in these cases is considered all-new service and has more rigorous permitting involved than de-landbanking an existing charter. But it absolutely can be done, and indeed IS being done on South Coast Rail. The landbanked Stoughton Branch takes a small but awkward roundabout through Taunton. The preferred option though is the non-landbanked straighter flank that connects to the end of the active Dean St. industrial track because it's available and a lot less operationally complicated. But it's NOT landbanked because the New Haven abandoned it before the statute existed; Stoughton Branch's little corkscrew move just happened to be the one that was still chartered when the state bought everything. They're gonna use the non-landbanked one anyway; it's one of the few decisions in that disaster of a project that's been totally uneventful and uncontested. Other non-landbanked preserved lines under reactivation consideration would include the BRB&L Blue Line extension routing they purchased in the 40's, still under consideration as the #1B Lynn routing (thank you, corrupt condo developers and Revere pols, for illegally making that one more difficult). And there's a few other minimal-priority but nice to have holds like the Millis-West Medway leg of the Millis Line, the Mansfield-Norton gap between the Framingham Secondary/NEC and the Attleboro Branch/FR+NB Branches, the Greenbush-Marshfield leg of the Greenbush Line, the B&P Woonsocket routing in Bellingham that RIDOT studied for Woonsocket via Franklin service, plus other partial chunks like two-thirds of the Randolph Branch connector between the Stoughton Branch and Old Colony main. Most, save for Woonsocket (file under "if RIDOT's paying, we'll go wherever they want to go"), not worth using on sooner than half-century timescales. But really good to have under protection for whatever our post peak-oil world looks like.

I'd rank North Reading pretty high on the half-century holds list just because it's a much better radial link than the Danvers Branch with Wakefield Jct.'s limitations. It meets the Western Route only a half-mile shy of Lowell Jct...hell you could grade-separate it from the WR and do contiguous Lowell-Salem run with the interlocking consolidated solely at LJ if you wanted. And fact that all of its encroachments are bypassable with the power line detour save for one single intersection makes it a somewhat more urgent preservation case to pull a Bedford trail on and lock up while it's still available.
 #942824  by trainhq

Prabody/Danvers is still a high-priority MPO expansion project and critical piece of the North Shore Transit Improvements study. The trails on these ROW's all start beyond the routes under consideration, the towns want CR on the rest, and the T is not letting the ROW's to 128 be reserved for anything but future CR use. It's not a Big Dig mitigation project unto itself, but conducting the North Shore Improvements study was. That whole effort hinges on maxing out Eastern Route service to Salem. Peabody/Danvers should have much greater urgency than it's been given because it's what will ramp up the inner Eastern Route frequencies, and because of the very short length it is the cheapest CR extension project on the MPO ratings save for Plaistow. Stalled for the same old reasons...@#$% South Coast Rail and other financial chaos sucking all oxygen out of the room, and longstanding institutional inertia against doing any system enhancement projects ever.

I think this gets it right (the quote feature isn't working on my computer). I took a look at this several years ago. It's a pretty good route, and would clearly get decent ridership. There were a number of residents near the track that would have noise and vibration impacts, but it wasn't that bad. However, with the T's current debt situation, it won't happen unless there are specific federal $$$ to do it (see West Fitchburg).
 #942924  by F-line to Dudley via Park

tom18287 wrote:youd have to cross route 1 and 95, though.
North Shore Mall commuter rail option requires a bridge over 128 to get to the platform, so that's part of the build. Layover yard's supposed to continue on and end at the Lowell St./Prospect St. rotary. Proposed design here: http://www.mbta.com/uploadedFiles/Docum ... 1x17_2.pdf.

If they ever wanted to go further to the jct. with the Danvers Branch they'd just underpass the 1 North-to-95 North ramp and Route 1 in culverts. 95 itself and the 95 South-to-1 South ramp are already elevated over that spot to handle the ramp weaving. Pretty trivial to underpass; there's no overhead bridge abutments from the elevated roadways near the ramp footprints. They may end up building this anyway with future provisions for RR use because there's a mile-long detour in the Independence Greenway Trail trail up and around Lowell St. just to get traverse the 1/4 mile gap across 95/1. That's going to be an issue when Phase II of the Danvers Branch trail (paving/landscaping of the current crappy gravel job) meets the IGT at the old junction. If MassHighway does construction to untangle that awful triangle of 3 interchanges in a row (definitely 95/128 is scheduled...I don't know about 1/128 or 1/95) it'd make good fiscal sense to do the trail/ROW underpass right then.
 #1017506  by MBTA13

Now 7 years later there is still no chance of this happening. It would be a good addition to the CR but unless you could come up with a line the services Peabody, Danvers, and all those points in between it won't happen. Being 160 million in debt this isn't happening anytime soon. HOWEVER if all of these proposed cuts with the bus line in and around the northshore area go through, this could potentially happen. But that is a whole different conversation.