Railroad Forums 

• Gov't Center Closure 2014 Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1301615  by BostonUrbEx

TrainManTy wrote:
Yellowspoon wrote: On Sunday, 07-SEP-14, I boarded a North Station bound train at Waban. That agrees with the above statement. That afternoon, while waiting at Park Street for a train to Haymarket, several trains marked "PARK STREET" dumped their passengers and deadheaded north, presumably to turn at Government Center. BC trains were turning at Park. So, many people waited at North Station for a Riverside train that never arrived. I equate the MBTA's lack of consistency to be a lack of concern for customers.
Railroads have many operational considerations that they are under no obligation to explain to the traveling public or the internet at large. Service communication is important and is sometimes lacking, but that's no grounds to jump to that conclusion. And people wonder why railroaders aren't always friendly to railfans...
The MBTA is filled with more politicians and lawyers than it is with railroaders.
 #1334689  by Arlington

The June 2015 progress photos are now online and mostly show that work has progressed from framing and foundations to "inner-shell" stuff like poured floors for the entrance lobby and some initial wall-framing in the Green and Blue platforms:
http://mbta.com/riding_the_t/default.asp?id=26899" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1350598  by BigUglyCat

I note on the MBTA.com site Service Alerts that a platform restriction and weekend closures will be coming up at Bowdoin. The alerts key these situations to the Government Center renovation. I must be missing the point here. What does Bowdoin have to do with the GC upgrades?
 #1350648  by BostonUrbEx

They're not shutting down service, though. They'll be discharging and boarding passengers from the same platform at Bowdoin, but service will otherwise be normal. Note that this means passengers will be allowed to ride the Bowdoin Loop.
 #1350668  by Gerry6309

BostonUrbEx wrote:They're not shutting down service, though. They'll be discharging and boarding passengers from the same platform at Bowdoin, but service will otherwise be normal. Note that this means passengers will be allowed to ride the Bowdoin Loop.
More likely they are wrong railing back to State from Bowdoin, crossing over under Court St.
 #1350693  by Bramdeisroberts

BostonUrbEx wrote:They're not shutting down service, though. They'll be discharging and boarding passengers from the same platform at Bowdoin, but service will otherwise be normal. Note that this means passengers will be allowed to ride the Bowdoin Loop.
I rode the Bowdoin loop by accident on the way to a date, once upon a time...
 #1350746  by Gerry6309

Bramdeisroberts wrote:
I rode the Bowdoin loop by accident on the way to a date, once upon a time...
Back in the day, I rode it many times, operators/guards didn't care. Many got on westbound at Government to get a seat.
 #1354508  by ns3010

Work is shutting down the Green Line this weekend, 10/31 and 11/1:
This Weekend: Green Line suspended in both directions between Park Street and Haymarket on Oct 31 - Nov 1 from start to end of service. Trains will not operate between Park Street and Haymarket.

Due to necessary work being performed by the Government Center Project, Green Line service will be suspended between Park St. and Haymarket in both directions from start to end of service beginning Saturday, October 31, 2015, through Sunday, November 1, 2015.

Inbound (eastbound) trains will terminate at Park St. and outbound (westbound) trains will terminate at Haymarket.
 #1354513  by The EGE

That's rather odd. Southbound trains still have to use Brattle Loop, and unless they want to only use half of Park Street they'll have to run trains through to GC loop.
 #1354530  by Diverging Route

The EGE wrote:That's rather odd. Southbound trains still have to use Brattle Loop, and unless they want to only use half of Park Street they'll have to run trains through to GC loop.
There's a crossover between North Station and Haymarket. I suspect they'll change ends at Haymarket, so no need to use the Brattle Loop.
 #1354537  by Type 7 3684

ns3010 wrote:Work is shutting down the Green Line this weekend, 10/31 and 11/1:
This Weekend: Green Line suspended in both directions between Park Street and Haymarket on Oct 31 - Nov 1 from start to end of service. Trains will not operate between Park Street and Haymarket.

Due to necessary work being performed by the Government Center Project, Green Line service will be suspended between Park St. and Haymarket in both directions from start to end of service beginning Saturday, October 31, 2015, through Sunday, November 1, 2015.

Inbound (eastbound) trains will terminate at Park St. and outbound (westbound) trains will terminate at Haymarket.
They were going to suspend service this weekend, but for some reason they cancelled the suspension
 #1354546  by The EGE

Diverging Route wrote:
The EGE wrote:That's rather odd. Southbound trains still have to use Brattle Loop, and unless they want to only use half of Park Street they'll have to run trains through to GC loop.
There's a crossover between North Station and Haymarket. I suspect they'll change ends at Haymarket, so no need to use the Brattle Loop.
As far as the maps I have available show, there is not a crossover between them (only a short siding off the northbound track). Has this changed?