Railroad Forums 

• Subway Delay Reports and Discussion (2011-2017)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1437637  by StefanW

I received a reply back on the issue of headsign from the MBTA people who manage the real-time data feeds. At least on the Green Line, whatever the vehicle is displaying is what will show up in the live data as the headsign / destination for that trip. In the specific case of the service interruption today, they told me that Copley is indeed not an available destination for the operator to select even if they wanted to.

(By the way I can relate to having bugs - in my own apps - on how the real-time data is handled! No software is perfect!) :(
 #1437668  by Rbts Stn

Reply regarding my $2.25 refund request:
Thank you for contacting the MBTA. We appreciate your business and value your feedback.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced on the Green Line.

There are occasions when unforeseeable delays may occur due to mechanical issues, accidents, adverse weather conditions, etc.., however MBTA stop processing refund requests for service-related delays when the new fiscal year began July 1st 2011.

But your concern has been forwarded to the appropriate department for review and action.

We will continue to make every effort to minimize these delays and hope to serve you better in the future.
I wonder if anyone has pointed out to them that "stop" should be "stopped"? And that that whole sentence could be improved -- no one cares about a fiscal year start from 6 years ago!
 #1437673  by Rbts Stn

Just read the Boston Globe article:

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/ ... d-downtown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I counted. There are more wrong "facts" here than accurate facts. There was no fire, there were no firemen for more than 30 minutes after the incident started inside Boylston station, the location of the trains is all wrong, etc

I'm guessing the Globe just ran what the T told them
 #1437723  by dieciduej

Rbts Stn wrote:Just read the Boston Globe article:

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/ ... d-downtown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I counted. There are more wrong "facts" here than accurate facts. There was no fire, there were no firemen for more than 30 minutes after the incident started inside Boylston station, the location of the trains is all wrong, etc

I'm guessing the Globe just ran what the T told them
My guess "Twitter Reaction!" With everyone tweeting, everyone is an on-scene reporter. The picture in the article was via Twitter.

Fire sure! last time I saw catenary get snagged and pulled down, there was a flash (arc), puff of smoke and then a blueish white flame as the snapped catenary wire was in contact with the base of the pantograph. To the lay person its a fire. But remember we techies know the proper terms and the average person wouldn't and the press will play to their level.

Now we are digressing subject of "Subway Delay Reports and Discussion"

JoeD
 #1438114  by CRail

StefanW wrote:At least on the Green Line, whatever the vehicle is displaying is what will show up in the live data as the headsign / destination for that trip. ...They told me that Copley is indeed not an available destination for the operator to select even if they wanted to.
Neither is true. The only way the sign's display is communicated anywhere outside the train is to the people reading the sign. Every station on the line is available. You could make the destination Mission Park if you wanted to.
 #1440330  by bostontrainguy

Yes, this is the Naples crossover and it is where the T is reversing trains back to BC during the Comm. Ave. bridge reconstruction. It is being heavily used. That train would have just reversed direction and was traveling west crossing from the left track to the right one in the photo.

If you look closely at the switch in the lower left you can see that the left point is not fully set and there is a noticeable gap. The front end and middle truck seemed to have traversed okay, but the point may have moved before the rear truck made it by.
 #1440555  by Type 7 3684

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:Shuttle buses are replacing Blue Line service between Maverick and Suffolk Downs due to a medical emergency

Affected stops:
Suffolk Downs
Orient Heights
Wood Island
Airport
Maverick
Apparently someone was trapped under a Blue Line train.
 #1440960  by deathtopumpkins

Any idea what's going on with the third track on the Orange Line? Sometime around last weekend orange construction fencing appeared all along it, with a bunch of construction equipment staged just behind a derail at the hi-rail pad just north of Community College. Was looking at it again this morning, and the third rail has been removed between Community College and Sullivan, and there was a work crew doing something on the bridge over the commuter rail (with an accompanying painfully slow speed restriction). Is this just third rail replacement?

They just issued a T Alert for minor delays north of CC. When I rode by around an hour ago there were 10+ minute gaps northbound.
 #1440969  by deathtopumpkins

But is this work preparation for that? I'd have thought it was already usable in its current state, considering they already regularly run test trains on it.