Railroad Forums 

• Subway Delay Reports and Discussion (2011-2017)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1339275  by bostontrainguy

sery2831 wrote:
bostontrainguy wrote:Second derailment of an 8 in about a week. Both involved the center truck and both were on straight rail. The other was on the BC line between Sutherland and Washington.

Here we go again?
Not exactly. This D Line derailment started with the lead axle. And the track had an issue, speed and the vehicle were not the cause. Lets not spread misinformation.
Not spreading any misinformation. Just reporting what happened. Speed was not a factor in the BC line derailment either (the train was at a stop sign) unless you know something different. Please inform us.
 #1339372  by Yellowspoon

sery2831 wrote: ... This D Line derailment started with the lead axle. And the track had an issue, speed and the vehicle were not the cause. ...
I'd love to hear the probable cause of the derailment as only the 3rd (of 6) axle was off the track.
 #1339561  by sery2831

bostontrainguy wrote:
Not spreading any misinformation. Just reporting what happened. Speed was not a factor in the BC line derailment either (the train was at a stop sign) unless you know something different. Please inform us.
The TRACK caused the derailment. Lets move on. I can't share everything I know.
 #1339934  by bostontrainguy

They have been surveying the entire Greenline and running this "Railroad Lidar" vehicle around the system. Maybe they will finally do some serious repair and upgrade the tracks. God knows it needs it.
 #1341436  by StefanW

MBTA Subway Service Alerts wrote:Shuttle buses replacing Green Line service between Lechmere and North Station due to a disabled train.
According to the operator on the platform at North Station outbound / eastbound (who was directing passengers to the replacement shuttle), a Type 7 derailed while going around the loop at the Lechmere yard. Without me even asking any more details, he said (I'm paraphrasing) "it was an equipment problem because the guy is a veteran operator". Again, I'm paraphrasing; that's not a direct quote.
 #1342178  by Gerry6309

Diverging Route wrote:I hear that Malfunction Junction on the Red Line is doing what it does best: nothing. Severe delays on the RL are reported.
They were making announcements at Ashmont!! at 3 PM. Channel 7 was reporting major delays at 5. There are two interlockings here, 12 and 21, and maybe a 3rd. 12 is the infamous one, since 21 only is used for diversions. After the diversions we went through for the rebuilding, any malfunction is unacceptable, especially in this kind of weather! The only further expense I would support would be to put a manned tower there (cheaper in the long run).
 #1342381  by StefanW

(I don't know where else to post this, but it's somewhat related to the storms today that did cause some delays.)

On my way from Park St. to North Station this evening, I was up near the operator on the front car and happened to see a very foreign object lying across the tracks... a tree branch about halfway between Park St. and Government Center! It looked like some variety of evergreen bough, about 3/4" in diameter and about 3 feet long. It had fallen on the right rail and had been run over and broken in two by a previous train. We didn't slow down at all for it so it seemed like it was known not to be a problem.

I find that amazing! A previous train had gotten that branch stuck somewhere and it travelled all the way from above ground to beyond Park St. station. Crazy!!
 #1349550  by Gerry6309

Boston TV stations are reporting major delays on the Red Line due to a person struck by a train at JFK-UMass. Busing from there to North Quincy in the middle of rush hour.
 #1349805  by deathtopumpkins

Gerry6309 wrote:Boston TV stations are reporting major delays on the Red Line due to a person struck by a train at JFK-UMass. Busing from there to North Quincy in the middle of rush hour.
It was a suicide. Person jumped in front of the train.
 #1349891  by Gerry6309

deathtopumpkins wrote:
Gerry6309 wrote:Boston TV stations are reporting major delays on the Red Line due to a person struck by a train at JFK-UMass. Busing from there to North Quincy in the middle of rush hour.
It was a suicide. Person jumped in front of the train.
As usual, the MBTA called it a "Medical Emergency".
 #1350113  by Rbts Stn

typesix wrote:Another thoughtless person subjects someone else to their sorrow.
Well, they were probably insane, so you can't really blame them.