Railroad Forums 

• Where were you on December 22nd 1985?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#884321  by mattl

Continuing the theme of the Washington St El thread, where were you on December 22nd 1987 when the MBTA E line through Jamaica Plain was closed?

I'll kick things off -- I was a tiny child, living in England... completely unaware of Boston or the T, and possibly even trains.
 #884342  by BostonUrbEx

I was not yet conceived, and thus completely unaware of anything at all. :(

I wish I could have seen the A line, the full E line, and the Main Line El! And everything else from Railroad Past.
 #884532  by Eliphaz

That was the year I got married. I was living in Concord at the time and working at Choate Hospital in Woburn. Proboby didnt go to Boston once in 1985.
Last edited by Eliphaz on Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #884533  by jonnhrr

Unfortunately living in PA at the time, probably riding the SEPTA ex-RDG Blueliners in their last days before they were replaced by the Bombardier push-pull equipment. :)

I probably last rode the E to Arborway back in the 1960's when we lived in JP for a year.

I do have a friend Tom Harding who is a retired T trolley operator who operated one if the last trips to Arborway that day.

Jon
 #884586  by mattl

Get him on here!
 #884601  by ST214

I was one day shy of 5 months old, so i have no idea where i was.
 #884617  by SM89

I too wasn't born yet. It wish this stuff was still around so that i could see it. There are some photos, but not really any videos :(
 #884650  by Eliphaz

SM89 wrote:I too wasn't born yet. It wish this stuff was still around so that i could see it. There are some photos, but not really any videos :(
Too true. hand held VHS cameras were just beginning to enter the consumer market at that time and were still expensive and bulky. 8mm film was also expensive, and the picture quality was just horrible. It would be great to find some kind of recorded video or moving pictures of the old orange line elevated that could be rendered into digital video.
 #884688  by afcapt80

My dad left on a 3-month work trip (merchant marine) in November of 1985 and promised me a ride on the Arborway when he got back (I don't remember people calling it the "Green Line" or the "trolley", just "the Arborway")........I'm still waiting for that trip...3rdRail has some of the best Arborway pics I've seen to date. Some of the post-1985 pics of the PCCs rotting in Arborway Yard are eerie.
 #884699  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Eliphaz wrote:
SM89 wrote:I too wasn't born yet. It wish this stuff was still around so that i could see it. There are some photos, but not really any videos :(
Too true. hand held VHS cameras were just beginning to enter the consumer market at that time and were still expensive and bulky. 8mm film was also expensive, and the picture quality was just horrible. It would be great to find some kind of recorded video or moving pictures of the old orange line elevated that could be rendered into digital video.
There's a ton of video documentation of the end of the Washington St. El, including news footage and uninterrupted footage of an entire Chinatown-Forest Hills trip and back. Charlestown El has old Super 8 footage of the same, but it's very poor because of 1975 technology. Search YouTube...they're all on there.

Arborway...and Watertown...didn't get that treatment because unlike the Els coming down these weren't supposed to be permanent closures. Yes, people rightly doubted the T's real intentions, but after all they did build a new Green Line stop at Forest Hills, did run test trains on temporary track from the yard to Forest Hills and back in 1986 during construction, and did replace every inch of street-running track from 1987-89. It was supposed to come back all along. And even with Watertown there was a lot of track reconstruction in the 1980's through Brighton, a restoration lawsuit chugging along that lasted until 1994, and some hope that if the PCC rebuild program ran to completion and netted the full number of rebuilt cars they'd planned for (it didn't) that an over-full fleet of working Boeings, a new car order of CLRV's or ultimately the Type 7's, and like-new PCC's would allow them to restart A-line service with the PCC's relegated to one of the two street-running branches. That line too might've gotten a Super 8 filming of one of its 1970's or 1980's fantrips if it were a fait accompli that the line would be gone forever.

Frankly, we're lucky the Arborway line was so well photo-documented in late-'85 by railfans fearful that it'd never return after the pending construction. There's very few A-line photos outside of Watertown Yard, and save for some convenient vantage points on the line almost no online photo history of it in revenue or fantrip operation or complete documentation of what every stop or stretch of track looked like. That shutdown came with a lot less warning because it was car shortage-induced. People knew a couple years out the E was going to be shut for sprawling reconstruction work at the portal, on the street-running track, and at Forest Hills.
 #884809  by Adams_Umass_Boston

I was 5 and can remember my Dad taking me out to Forest Hills only once on the old E. We would normal take the Orange. I can remember being sacred that we were crossing that tracks at some-point at Park. Then being curious as watching a Yellow PCC car roll in and asking my dad "Are we going to take the Yellow line."
I know know that was a work car.