Railroad Forums 

• AM Radio Train Station Broadcasts

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#756124  by sery2831

In the article about MBCR getting it's final extension an improvement that goes hand in hand with the new GPS train status updates is a program that gives an update on AM radio! Anderson RTC on the Lowell is supposed to be testing this in the near future.

Here is the quote from the article found on Boston.com: http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaki ... ail_c.html
In addition, the T plans to launch a low-frequency AM radio broadcast at some stations that will let commuters hear when trains are arriving, without getting out of their cars, allowing them to stay warm and dry during bad weather. That plan will be rolled out at the Anderson Regional Transportation Center in Woburn later this month, and to other stations with at least 50 parking spots soon after, the MBTA announced.

[To keep this on topic, this thread will be about the AM Radio broadcasts... The GPS thread is here: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 65&t=64340 ]
 #756158  by CRail

Don't forget the predecessor to the multimillion dollar LED clock, the scrolling No Smoking signs!
 #756279  by rethcir

This might warrant its own topic but.. Did anyone take the greenbush or middleboro/lakeville lines today and check out the train arrival signs? This is an easy way to take some of the edge off train commuting, I hope the data stream is opened up for iphone/bb developers, etc too.

I have some friends who were trapped in Lowell for a couple extra hours one holiday when they read the wrong schedule, they certainly could have used this.
 #756328  by jaymac

This is one of those low-cost, high-return investments in customer relations that had seemed to have disappeared from the T in recent years. If the algorithms and GPS data are effectively integrated, this will greatly reduce the feelings of discomfort on top of inconvenience generated by waiting at unheated or insufficiently sheltered platforms. When it gets established system-wide, that will be even better.
Does anybody have any idea who gets props for this?
 #757310  by StevieC48

Is all the trafic networks going to have access to this or is going to be for one traffic network? Here is a list of the popular trafic networks used by the radio stations Smart Routes Cambridge,Total Traffic Medford and Metro Traffic Boston.
 #757319  by sery2831

Stevie it's a now arriving announcement broadcast in the parking lot.
 #757702  by StevieC48

Ok lol I mis understood the post my bad thanks for clearing that up.
 #914827  by mitch3910

I saw this sticker in a couple locations when I got off the train in Haverhill tonight. I didn't see them this morning (though I could have still been asleep). Anyone know what the deal with this is?

#914828  by BostonUrbEx

I thought that project died a while ago?

The plan was to play delays and alerts regularly. And they were considering music to break it up a little bit. There is definitely a thread about this somewhere on this forum.
 #914843  by diburning

Been there, done that.

It's hooked up to the signs. A computer voice broadcasts over the radio what is being displayed on the sign. (Most of the time, you hear a robot voice saying WELCOME... TO.... COMMUTER...RAIL) and the robot voice would also announce the countdown, any delays, stand back, etc. The range isn't very far so once you leave the station area or the parking lot if the station has one, you wouldn't be able to hear it anymore.
 #914906  by scrook

Low power AM info broadcast (found at the top or bottom extreme of your AM 'dial' -- for who uses dials these days?), as is used for local traffic, state/national park, airport, etc. information dissemination. With timely messages and alerts could be useful.