Railroad Forums 

• Green Line Type 9 Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#763877  by Adams_Umass_Boston

That was very interesting Paul.

I might be over simplifying this thought, but it looks like it would solve a few of the T's problems. I don't know what the capacity of a train like that has, but maybe it can take the place of two trolleys. This would allow for less staffing. That would be a money saver.

The trolley also appears to be completely low-floor. That would be much better then the awkward type 8's.

Interesting to see.
 #763879  by WoofyMutt80

The disability advocates would LOVE these trains for those who found the Type 8's awkward!
 #763902  by Arborway

WoofyMutt80 wrote:I could definitely see that in the future for the green line, only if the T wasn't in debt!
Type 9s are out to bid right now.
 #764222  by diburning

Problem is, that it won't fit in our ancient streetcar tunnels.

It is not entirely low floor. The platform is simply jacked up. Here's a photo of the car not at a platform:

http://buzzer.translink.ca/wp-content/u ... ytrain.jpg

It has actual full-length axles, not stub axles like the center truck on a type 8.
 #764224  by RailBus63

diburning wrote:Problem is, that it won't fit in our ancient streetcar tunnels.

It is not entirely low floor. The platform is simply jacked up. Here's a photo of the car not at a platform:

http://buzzer.translink.ca/wp-content/u ... ytrain.jpg

It has actual full-length axles, not stub axles like the center truck on a type 8.
That's not the Flexity streetcar - that is the Skytrain.
 #764242  by 3rdrail

I don't see why if they could get rapid transit through the Tremont Street Tunnel that they couldn't get this through. Look at my avatar. The 01100 I'm standing next to has the same basic height & width dimensions as those early Main Line cars that negotiated the subway. Railbus is correct. That previous photo is not the Flexity. The Flexity is capable of street loading with low door thresholds. I'm not usually a big fan of modern streetcars, but I think that this one is a beauty - plus it's a Bombardier, probably the best current streetcar in the world. However, before I give my 100 % enthusiasm for the Flexity, I would like to see how the new Oregon Iron Works streetcars hold up in Portland. They are the only American made streetcars on the market. Here's the Flexity:
Attachments:
FlexitySC.jpg
FlexitySC.jpg (33.43 KiB) Viewed 8908 times
 #764250  by BostonUrbEx

My concern with the Flexity is length in combination with capacity. I assume 1 Flexity car is longer than 1 Type 7 or Type 8, but not quite as long as a complete 2-car trolley, and also less capacity than a 2-car trolley.

Basically: would we need 2 coupled Flexity's to have equal or greater capacity for one trolley? Would that work in all stations or would it be too long?
 #764260  by itszjay

Flexity can be design into any reasonable given length. And I also believe Flexity could cost less then a TYPE 8 since is not custom design.

Wonder if the MBTA would put a joint bid on Type 9, 1300 (Orange Line) and 1900 Red Line, Flexity for green line and MOVIA for Red and Orange Line. Even with the new 700s, I still like the Bombardier 1800s the most.
 #764295  by 3rdrail

I have not seen a capacity for Flexity. If anyone does, please post. (With that slow panning video that I posted, anyone could probably do an estimate on their own.) As regards to navigating the tunnels, an articulated car has less overhang than does a non-articulated car, so outside of anything after the PCC's, they would have that advantage clearance-wise over earlier equipment's clearance.
 #764345  by jamesinclair

BostonUrbEx wrote:My concern with the Flexity is length in combination with capacity. I assume 1 Flexity car is longer than 1 Type 7 or Type 8, but not quite as long as a complete 2-car trolley, and also less capacity than a 2-car trolley.

Basically: would we need 2 coupled Flexity's to have equal or greater capacity for one trolley? Would that work in all stations or would it be too long?
As long as two flexity's are the same or shorter than 3 Type 7s....then they'll fit just fine (after construction at Copley ends).
 #764352  by patb96

jamesinclair wrote: (after construction at Copley ends).

... never
 #764365  by 3rdrail

Here's Oregon Iron Work's (United Streetcar Company) streetcar - the first American streetcar in 60 years. It is the only American streetcar in production. If this guy holds up, I'd love to see a re-birth of the American streetcar take hold. Now would be a great time with all the cities looking to add on and even start new equipment. Could they gear up production to fill a large order ? Boston is probably the toughest city of all for streetcars. With our track, hard use, multiple curves, constant stops and goes, and heavy patronage, we need a tank - so, may the best streetcar win ! Check out their video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU1W9EOxBhE
Attachments:
unintedstreetcar.jpg
unintedstreetcar.jpg (56.5 KiB) Viewed 8690 times
 #764381  by RailBus63

The main issue with the Flexity or any other modern off-the-shelf streetcar design is the ability to operate alongside the heavy Type 7 and Type 8 designs. Any new car must be crash-worthy enough to withstand a collision with one of the older cars, and must also be capable of pushing or pulling a dead T7 or T8 out of the way. The Flexity might be too much of a lightweight to qualify, although Bombardier does appear to be willing to customize the design as required.
 #764387  by MBTA3247

3rdrail wrote:Here's Oregon Iron Work's (United Streetcar Company) streetcar - the first American streetcar in 60 years.
Last I checked, the Boeings were American and only 34 years old.
 #764393  by 3rdrail

Just guessing, but I would imagine (and hope) that should the United Streetcar Company's product be shown to be worthy that financial incentives by the U.S. Government would be in place to jump start what was a dead American industry. I would also think that in order for the U.S. Department of Transportation to approve an order such as would be required for Boston, that certain crash standards with other vehicles, including older cars, would be required and a certain crash-worthiness mandatory. Historically, regarding safety, streetcars have gotten considerably better since their inception with each new generation. A hit such as what took place in Newton would likely have killed many passengers and severely injured the rest in previous times.