Haverhill Line Upgrade Discussion (Western Route)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Lincoln78

Re: Haverhill Line Upgrade Discussion (Western Route)

Post by Lincoln78 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:56 pm

Lowell has done some work to be a tourist attraction. Lawrence...hasn't. I've only been there a few times but there is not much near the station. Good beer, bit of a walk from the station. https://www.thecladdaghpub.com/Home . Not sure where the unsafe areas of Lawrence are or even if it is still the auto theft capital of New England. Your train is safe.

Haverhill- http://www.tapbrewingcompany.com/ - good place. The outdoor patio should be open for a few more weeks. Good view of the river and the railroad bridge. Several other restaurants in the downtown.

MBTA has the $10 weekend unlimited ride.

njt/mnrrbuff

Post by njt/mnrrbuff » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:18 am

Yes, Haverhill is a great town with lots of shops and restaurants near the station. I went there once in 2009. That railroad bridge makes for very nice shots, especially in the afternoon.

It looks like if I do make it to Lawrence and this doesn't have much to do with trains, I would visit the Lawrence Heritage History state park. It looks like that pub is not too fart out of the way from my walk from the train station to the Heritage History State Park and Museum. Yes, Lawrence still has a lot of work to be done and I'm going to be out of there well before dark, except on the train. It's possible I may, after Lawrence, head over to Haverhill.

jaymac

Post by jaymac » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:59 am

A short walk from the Lawrence platform is the New Balance Factory Outlet Store at 5 South Union. Good timing can lead to good deals. GEarth will show you.
"Watching trains is better than smoking meth."
--Source, location, and time undisclosed.

BandA

Post by BandA » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:05 am

[OT] there is also a New Balance Factory Outlet near Boston Landing - .5 miles, 11 min walk to Market St. (It's actually a former Grossman's)

eustis22

Post by eustis22 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:10 pm

and, if you don't mind a little walking, there are still plenty of sidings in the road on either side of the canal and river. I like to go and imagine what railroading in Lawrence looked like when the textiles and shoes were being manufactured there.

Rockingham Racer

Post by Rockingham Racer » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:06 pm

I can assure you Lawrence was a lot busier than it is now, but I presume you know that. Some passenger trains even originated and terminated there, in addition to the gas turbine car that ran the M&L up to Manchester. The B&M ran more freights, and you had camp trains, ski trains, and the Rockingham Racers in season.

Return to “Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)”