Railroad Forums 

• Where to find old maps in the system

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1331969  by deathtopumpkins

Arborwayfan wrote:I think the new Orange Line stations (SWC) from Back Bay to Forest Hills might have had maps with the E line suspended beyond Brigham Circle. They showed the whole line in green but had the suspended notice and the black dashed line for the 39 bus. In those years the 39 was actually the substitute trolley: you paid subway fare going inbound and nothing going out above ground, and the there were free transfers at Copley in both directions.
While I don't think any SWC Orange Line stations still show the E going to Forest Hills, plenty of the maps at E line stations do. IIRC, it's a hollow line past Heath St, with the black dashed line for the 39 bus.
 #1332868  by rhodiecub2

Many of the OL stations from Chinatown to Forest Hills have the older maps with the Arborway connection at Forest Hills and still show the New England Medical Center station name.
FOTD5C5 2.jpg
FOTD5C5 2.jpg (180.38 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
 #1571243  by mattl

It seems in the last few years the MBTA have stepped up their map game, I rarely see very out of date maps in the system now, other than steel plates that are likely very expensive/hard to replace.

Most recently I've seen what looks like "NUBIAN" printed on a label maker crudely stuck over maps around the system. The only two other things I occasionally see are "Assembly Sq" (now just called Assembly) and a notice that Government Center is closed for renovations and will reopen in 2016 or whatever it was.
 #1571651  by NRGeep

It was not uncommon into the early 90's to encounter maps in some green line stations that still showed the Lexington and Sudbury commuter rail branches as still active.
 #1571745  by BandA

Service to South Sudbury ended Nov 1971 according to wikkkkkapedia. MBTA was colorized in 1965, so those enamel maps you saw in the '90s were most likely the original ones from the MBTA error.
 #1571908  by wicked

NRGeep wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:46 pm It was not uncommon into the early 90's to encounter maps in some green line stations that still showed the Lexington and Sudbury commuter rail branches as still active.
Interesting. I rode the system a lot back then and never saw one. The Everett maps were still relatively common.