Railroad Forums 

• Where to find old maps in the system

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#697253  by MBTA3247

rhodiecub2 wrote:Does the red line have any of those old style maps at any of the stations?
Dunno, but one of the older cars lost the current map over one of the doors, revealing an older version with the original station names. (It may be covered up again by now)
 #697485  by mattl

#697635  by F-line to Dudley via Park

e-m00 wrote:
mattl wrote:(snipped)
Okay, cool map. Where is it? -_-
Those are on every 01500/01600 car underneath the current maps. People peel the new ones off all the time to expose the 1969-70 maps--no matter how many times the T re-stickers them--so at any given moment there'll be a couple of cars out there with the old maps in view.

01700's, being 1987-88 vintage, of course don't have anything pre-dating the current maps since there have been no map-affecting changes since the late-80's RL renovations (i.e. DTX name change, Braintree platform opening at JFK).
 #697843  by mattl

I notice many of the older Red Line cars have a sticker on the current map which mentions exit fares at the last two stations on the Braintree line. How did this work, with the CharlieTicket/Card system in place? Assuming there was some crossover.
 #697852  by F-line to Dudley via Park

mattl wrote:I notice many of the older Red Line cars have a sticker on the current map which mentions exit fares at the last two stations on the Braintree line. How did this work, with the CharlieTicket/Card system in place? Assuming there was some crossover.
Up until the end of the token days you had to plug the turnstiles to exit the stations.
 #697963  by mattl

So there were tokens in place at the same time as CharlieCards?
 #697966  by sixflagscoasters

^ Tokens are still accepted today. The "new" Charlie Ticket vending machines let you put tokens in to add value to a Charlie Card or use them to buy a ticket. The tokens are worth the full fare value which I think is $1.70.
 #698023  by danib62

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Up until the end of the token days you had to plug the turnstiles to exit the stations.
That is incorrect. They had a set of faregates that were facing the wrong way and in order to exit you had to use your charliecard or ticket. The entrance gates were set to not allow people to exit through them. Yes tokens were still accepted at the FVMs though as they still are today.
 #698044  by MBTA3247

danib62 wrote:
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Up until the end of the token days you had to plug the turnstiles to exit the stations.
That is incorrect. They had a set of faregates that were facing the wrong way and in order to exit you had to use your charliecard or ticket. The entrance gates were set to not allow people to exit through them. Yes tokens were still accepted at the FVMs though as they still are today.
Prior to the current fare system (CharlieCard/ticket) being rolled out in 2006, the last few stops on the Braintree line were double-fare to get in and another fare to get out. I seem to recall that this involved special turnstiles that could accept tokens or passes from both ends, though it could have been two sets of turnstiles facing opposite directions (I rarely went out that way). CharlieCards and tickets were not accepted as they didn't exist at the time, although the passes for the last year or so were labeled as Charlie Tickets. The FVMs at the time did not accept tokens as they were built to dispense them; I don't believe they were able to dispense passes at all. The current FVMs and fareboxes accept old tokens, which have a face value of $1.25, which was the fare before the CharlieCard was introduced.
 #698090  by jamesinclair

sixflagscoasters wrote:^ Tokens are still accepted today. The "new" Charlie Ticket vending machines let you put tokens in to add value to a Charlie Card or use them to buy a ticket. The tokens are worth the full fare value which I think is $1.70.
Tokens are accepted with a value of $1.25.

The transition from token-charlie was not very smooth. I doubt the MBTA put much thought into the exit fares during the transition.

Copley, for example, did not get gates until a few days after the official "no more tokens" ceremony. Instead, the charity bucket was set up.
 #698119  by sery2831

Alright! Lets get back to the topic please. We have a Charlie Card Thread... hint.
 #698128  by rhodiecub2

Wouldn't the current system map be considered "old" especially since the SL3 line on the Silver Line is now closed.
 #698263  by Arborway

rhodiecub2 wrote:Wouldn't the current system map be considered "old" especially since the SL3 line on the Silver Line is now closed.
Yeah, but keep in mind there are still maps showing SL4 to Andrew which never existed in the first place. The maps also have to accommodate the renaming of New England Medical Center and the opening of Silver Line Direct Connect: Operation Drive Around The Corner.
 #700355  by jgeary27

West Concord has the 1980s vintage CR maps that show service to Gardner. These are common on the North side.

Most subway stations got new map frames around 2003-2004, early in the Grabauskas era I want to say. For a while it seemed like the MBTA was figuring out how to act like a real transit agency and have - gasp - a standard map that gets installed everywhere when it is updated.

However, the CR stations were not standardized at that time, and most still have maps from whenever they were built/renovated last. Also as has been noted, the T has now lost interest in keeping the subway maps consistent and things like silver line branches are already getting 'out of sync' with reality again...