Railroad Forums 

• Where to find old maps in the system

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#685799  by rhodiecub2

Does Orient Heights station still have the 1967 systems map, as shown here?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vanshnooke ... 186247755/

I remember discovering it back in the 90s when I used Orient Heights regularly and I saw it as recently as a few years ago. Were/are there other stations that used this map?
 #685871  by MAG

Yes, Orient Heights still has that map - at least it is still on the inbound platform wall. It always catches my attention when I catch a train there because of its uniqueness. I have not seen it in any other station.
 #685937  by RailBus63

rhodiecub2 wrote:Were/are there other stations that used this map?
Quincy Center, Wollaston and North Quincy all had 1971 versions of the system map. I also remember seeing it in various other stations - I seem to recall that the majority received them but I don't recall if there were stations that did not have it.
 #686146  by RedLantern

I don't know if they updated it yet, but last time I was in Lowell, outside the station next to the taxi area there was still a map showing the Lowell Commuter Rail ending in Concord NH, as well as the Fitchburg still running to Gardner.
 #686215  by sery2831

The sign in Lowell was recently painted over!!! :-(
 #686279  by rhodiecub2

I used the Blue Line frequently back in the late 80s/early 90s and almost all of the "subway" maps were either the 1971 or the 1975 spider subway maps with decals for the SW Corridor, Alewife extension, Braintree extension, and in some cases the Oak Grove line. That same 1967 system map was also seen at Wonderland, Revere Beach, Beachmont, Airport, and Maverick.
 #689015  by TNT314159

Speaking of old maps, I found this at Back Bay

The biggest thing that stands out is the lack of Old Colony lines!
 #689279  by mattl

There are maps in the walking tunnel between Downtown Crossing and Park St which still show Washington, Essex and other old station names on them.
 #689433  by Type7trolley

I was on a red line 01700 train yesterday that had the original map above the door with the red line ending at Harvard and Downtown crossing being called Washington, the newer one must have been peeled off.
 #689459  by TNT314159

Also the green line maps inside a lot of the type 7s still show the four stops that were eliminated on the B branch but have the names covered with white tape (also ICA next to Hynes is covered with tape)
 #689482  by F-line to Dudley via Park

mattl wrote:There are maps in the walking tunnel between Downtown Crossing and Park St which still show Washington, Essex and other old station names on them.
Green Line 3600's have the 1986 system map with the Washington St. El on the backs of the ad frames behind the operator cabin.
 #689522  by Type7trolley

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
TNT314159 wrote:Speaking of old maps, I found this at Back Bay

The biggest thing that stands out is the lack of Old Colony lines!
Porter's got that one too on the Red Line platforms.
Even the commuter rail waiting room at North Station has that map, which is weird since it was just renovated a few years ago! Also, a lot of the older stations on the North side still have that map too.