Railroad Forums 

• Snow Flanger Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#634090  by tom18287

at about 1120 am, i saw a single mbta loco with one yellow(ish?) boxcar heading north. what was this?
 #634110  by AEM7AC920

tom18287 wrote:at about 1120 am, i saw a single mbta loco with one yellow(ish?) boxcar heading north. what was this?
Was the loco the 3247? if so I am guessing you saw the work extra with the snow flanger (the yellow looking boxcar). I know it has been out and about lately on all the lines plowing snow!
 #634219  by AEM7AC920

tom18287 wrote:didnt catch the number, i was driving. it didnt look like a normal mbta loco, but it was still purple and silver.
LOL if it didn't look like a normal loco then it was the work engine 3247. Look at the link below that would be a pic of it from our Mod's webage

http://sery2831.smugmug.com/gallery/472 ... 7636_uAEfi
 #634221  by Dick H

It was reported on another site, that the MBTA was making salt deliveries to several commuter rail stations. They use trhe work train loco and a box car containing the bags of salt to make the deliveries. This is probably what was seen.

Dick
 #634259  by 130MM

The key word is "yellow(ish)". That makes it the flanger.

DAW
Dick H wrote:It was reported on another site, that the MBTA was making salt deliveries to several commuter rail stations. They use trhe work train loco and a box car containing the bags of salt to make the deliveries. This is probably what was seen.

Dick
 #634287  by AEM7AC920

Dick H wrote:It was reported on another site, that the MBTA was making salt deliveries to several commuter rail stations. They use trhe work train loco and a box car containing the bags of salt to make the deliveries. This is probably what was seen.

Dick
When salt deliveries are made the ex-amtrak MHC is used. The yellow looking boxcar is the flanger, if you look under it you can see the huge blades.
 #634451  by tom18287

driving by the line in wakefield today, the snow is very dirty, looks like something scraped out around the rails, so that makes sense,
 #634730  by 130MM

As noted above the flanger has four blades -- one plowing to each side for each direction of travel. They are mounted on air cyliders which are controlled electrically from a simple box with switches that say "Up" or "Down". (The electricity comes via MU cables from the loco.) When they are in the down position the blades extend below the top of rail. So the operator has to know where all obstructions are, and lift the blades accordingly. As there is a little lag time in the lifting, one has to be careful to lift it early enough.

The main purpose is to clear the flangeways (hence the term "flanger"), as well as clearing the snow from the gage which, at least in our case, prevents the cables between the cars from abrading on the snowpack.

If I ever figure out how to do it i'll post a short video I have shot from the cab of the loco during flanging.

DAW
tom18287 wrote:driving by the line in wakefield today, the snow is very dirty, looks like something scraped out around the rails, so that makes sense,
 #634766  by AEM7AC920

130MM wrote:As noted above the flanger has four blades -- one plowing to each side for each direction of travel. They are mounted on air cyliders which are controlled electrically from a simple box with switches that say "Up" or "Down". (The electricity comes via MU cables from the loco.) When they are in the down position the blades extend below the top of rail. So the operator has to know where all obstructions are, and lift the blades accordingly. As there is a little lag time in the lifting, one has to be careful to lift it early enough.

The main purpose is to clear the flangeways (hence the term "flanger"), as well as clearing the snow from the gage which, at least in our case, prevents the cables between the cars from abrading on the snowpack.

If I ever figure out how to do it i'll post a short video I have shot from the cab of the loco during flanging.

DAW
tom18287 wrote:driving by the line in wakefield today, the snow is very dirty, looks like something scraped out around the rails, so that makes sense,
Thanks for the quick lesson :wink: I had the pleasure of being the cndr on the work train a few weeks ago when we took it out for the 1st time down the Fitchburg Route. I must say it is very interesting to tug that thing along at 35mph and sit back in the caboose and watch all the snow fly everywhere!
 #634886  by diburning

Hmm, I've been on a Fitchburg train that was the first train out to Fitchburg and the ROW was completely buried in snow. When the train pulled up to each station, the passengers all got a faceful! Do they only use the flanger if the snow is compacted or if they suspect icing?
 #635782  by 130MM

The flanger is generally brought out when the snow is piled in the gage to the point where it extends above the rail. If that is the case, it can freeze and then will abrade the bottoms of the cables between the cars causing HEP problems. The flanging also gives the snow from the next storm someplace to go.

We don't flange through stations as it would leave a windrow right on the yellow line. Plus a lot of the stations have pedestrian crossings that you can't flange through.

DAW
diburning wrote:Hmm, I've been on a Fitchburg train that was the first train out to Fitchburg and the ROW was completely buried in snow. When the train pulled up to each station, the passengers all got a faceful! Do they only use the flanger if the snow is compacted or if they suspect icing?
 #1358790  by GP40MC1118

MBTX 64711 Acquired: 10/04
Ex-Conrail 64711
Built: 11/78 Nominal Weight: 67,300 lbs. All steel. Conrail Class: SF1A Paint Code: P621178
Notes: Arrived 11/08/04 via CSX Beacon Park Yard, Allston, Ma. Built by Conrail at their
Hollidaysburgh Shops (Pa.) and bought from CSX. It was stored for several years at Pittsfield, Ma.
Entered service 1/05. Rehabbed and repainted 2015 at Hyannis, Ma.

D