Railroad Forums 

• Quiz...

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1191016  by 3rdrail

Ok, here's another quiz. Love this pic ! (Larger version via link below.) It reminds me of one of those old-fashioned movie trailers with the hero in dire straits about to perish saving the day such as what Indiana Jones made use of consistently. Allready, here's the deal. You decided to go on a little voyage on your time machine and you've gone back to somewhere in the Boston area. You're part of the wreck crew for Everett Shops at the MTA and your foreman has just yelled at you, "Hey, get in a truck and get over to ♫♫♫♪♪ !!! Billy Brill has just dropped a shoe on the 5714. Bring him a new pole with shoe !" Ok, so I'm new at this job. Stop telling me to rush, Cosmo ! Alright, I could use a little help ! :( .
1) Can you tell me the location of the streetcar ?
2) For my work order, what route and number is the 5714 on ?
3) What is the motorman, Billy standing on ?
4) Is the bridge up ?
5) Was the bridge up if it isn't already ? (could be a trick question :-D )
6) This darn form wants to know if the MTA logo on the car needs to be updated. There's a couple of types here. It's called ------ --- ----- ?
7) What's the name of the type of trucks on 5714 ?
8) What are those upside-down pans above the overhead by the front of 5714 ?
9) What do they do ?
10) What are those screens at the bottom of 5714's windows ? Mosquito screening ?

Ten Questions, ten points per question, as usual last question to be answered wins. If we reach a stalemate, highest score might win this one, we'll see. All in all, probably a moderate to difficult Quiz. Good luck!

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa26 ... t736-2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1191102  by atsf sp

Ill take a shot at some.
1. The draw that the Chelsea St. lift bridge replaced today.
2. RT 117 or 116 between Maverick and Revere Beach loop.
4 and 5. the bridge is not up
7. Standard C35P trucks
 #1191104  by MBTA3247

3. Anti-climber

8. Spark arrestors

9. Prevent arcing between the wires and the bridge

10. Screens to prevent people from sticking body parts out the windows and getting them amputated by the next car to pass in the opposite direction.
 #1191107  by 3rdrail

OK, guys. let's take a look here;

Mr. SP - You got #2 (117), #4 (It is down presently), and you know your trucks, #7 = 30 %.
Domenic - You won #3 which was pretty good as I don't have it as the answer. I should of referred to his left foot. Since his right foot is indeed on the anti-climber, my omission is your gain, however I'm going to leave 3 open for Billy the Motorman's left foot, ok mouseketeers ? 8 & 9- mmmmm I don't think so unless you can convince me that this was a part of this product's design, and #10 you got correctly = 20 %.

SP's ahead, #2, 4, 7, and 10 answered. Particular cudos to SP for the cars route, which I had to enlarge the image to find clues.

3) What is the motorman, Billy standing on with his left foot ?
5) Was the bridge up if it isn't already ?
6) This darn form wants to know if the MTA logo on the car needs to be updated. There's a couple of types here. It's called ------ --- ----- ?
9) What do they do ?
 #1191118  by dieciduej

(1) - My guess the location is on the Chelsea side of the Chelsea St bridge. Based upon the type of bridge, lift not pivot as in the Meridian St one. But wouldn't that be the Rt. 115 even if the car is signed up for the Rt. 117.

(3) - Billy is standing on the drawbar with is left foot and the anti-climber with the right.

(5) - My guess the bridge was open now its closed. The tanker appears to be riding high a.k.a. already off loaded, also used in answering #1.

(8) - Not sure of the official name of the inverted pans but that is where the gap is in the overhead wire.

(9) - They prevent dewirement and keep the car energized.

JoeD
 #1191124  by BostonUrbEx

dieciduej wrote:(1) - My guess the location is on the Chelsea side of the Chelsea St bridge. Based upon the type of bridge, lift not pivot as in the Meridian St one. But wouldn't that be the Rt. 115 even if the car is signed up for the Rt. 117.
I would guess the "other" Chelsea St Bridge, the one that preceded the Tobin, carrying the 111.
 #1191195  by 3rdrail

Good morning, gentlemen ! I see active traction minds have been working !

Ok, Joe, we'll start with you. You wiped out on #1. #3 you nailed ! Great deduction and correct for #5, and if you'll notice, it appears as if the tanker has just sailed under the bridge as it is travelling in the opposite direction, away. #8 is a good answer, however, like Domenics answer, "although it may be so, sorry 'cause I just don't know !" If you have somewhere to point me with that reply, I'll give you the points, however it is not it's primary function according to the Ohio Brass Company catalog. Nicely done, Joe with 20 points ! ! SP in the lead !

Urbie, sorry, too vague an answer.

9) What do they do ?
 #1191212  by BostonUrbEx

Not sure how it was too vague, as there was only one other Chelsea St bridge, and there was only one bridge immediately preceding the Tobin. The bridge from Broadway, Chelsea to Chelsea St, Charlestown. So my guess is Charlestown/Chelsea over/adjacent to the Mystic River.
 #1191273  by 3rdrail

Sorry Urbie, wrong answer.
 #1191308  by dieciduej

1 - Bascule bridge abutment.

6 - I believe the MTA logo does need to be updated, but I am not sure of the official name. I call it the MTA egg logo.

8 - Bascule bridge frog.

9 - Used in bridging the trolley wire.

JoeD
 #1191320  by 3rdrail

Alrighty, that was a mighty effort Joe, and I really wanted to give you the points, but...
(Do you want to expand #9 ?)
As the chill said to the air, I'll tell you what I'm going to dew. Here's a couple of clues. Regarding the logo, my dashes are the appropriate dashes where the logo's commonly used name's letters and spaces would go. I'm only looking for it's name. Whether or not it needs updating, I couldn't care less, and that was only put in to give background on why our "rescuer" needed the information for his work order form. As far as a part is concerned, notice where you find these pieces, and they are made to prevent something....Kindly note, there may be something a little unusual regarding this Quiz and that is that I don't know of anyone who would have all of these answers right at the top of their head (except Mo Bouk). You will need some outside reference material. But no matter what the cost for enlightenment, be it to come out dizzy after hours without sleep studying or travelling to the far reaches of the globe to unearth an answer, you too can reach Super Foamer status and be the envy of techies everywhere.
Attachments:
(73.73 KiB) Downloaded 3583 times
 #1191436  by 3rdrail

I'm glad that you enjoy them, Fan ! I've just been around for a while and what I haven't picked up is bolstered by a very extensive library in my study which I am very proud of.

Seems like we're at a slump. Let me see if I can stimulate things by throwing out a few clues. The following words or phrases could be associated with these questions;
safety
reflective of the function that it provides
East Boston
not the country
Attachments:
(32.96 KiB) Downloaded 3534 times
 #1191478  by Teamdriver

Although I am a friend of the old Chelsea street bridge ( the gateway to Day Square and Spinelli's ) and for that matter , the Meridian street bridge as well, I can only offer up some background, and maybe there is something there to satisfy the harsh taskmaster, the Rail. If nothing there , mea culpa !

Bridges in Chelsea http://olgp.net/chs/bridge/bridges.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A few nice pics anyway ,

http://olgp.net/chs/bridge/br2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://olgp.net/chs/bridge/br1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1191543  by atsf sp

I don't know the official name of the logo but it is the MTA logo that shows the entire system map of the time.