Railroad Forums 

• Quiz...

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1190363  by BostonUrbEx

Why did they convert the platform from a center island to two side platforms? Was the station in need of repair/reconstruction to begin with?
 #1190376  by 3rdrail

I'm guessing that it had to do with the neighborhood that it found itself in. The next stop outbound (Northampton) retained it's center island construction, but Wash at this point is considerably wider, giving more of a distance from multi-storied buildings. At Dover/Wash, there existed the Roosevelt Hotel, at the time an upscale quality place with multiple floors. Trying to read between the lines, the hotel may have complained that rapid transit cars rattling by mere inches from the hotels third floor windows was detrimental to business, already established prior to the El's construction I believe, and a way of pushing the cars away somewhat and insulating them was to put them in the middle as opposed to the edges. Admittedly, the El did bring on a certain seediness into what was a thriving industrial and commercial area anyway, with frequent drunken habitués wandering about. The hotel suffered a major fire in the '70's with loss of life and had to be razed.
 #1190492  by Leo Sullivan

Paul, Here's why I don't believe it is Kneeland or Broadway.
First a picture of the trackwork just before it went completely out of use.
There's that jog! I didn't know this until I looked it up in connection with this discussion.
It may be just one track, more research indicated.
As for Kneeland, Wash. St. line is underground and Harrison is truss construction also, the
surface track at Harrison was single with simple connections (see excerpt).
as for broadway, see picture posted earlier (no specialwork).
LS
 #1190677  by 3rdrail

It is !
 #1190699  by joshg1

I can't copy the images but I can give the links. Put a straight edge on the NW side of Dover and you see the SE side shifts ~10º north. The NW corner was/is a 90º, the opposite skewed. You'll have to do your own zooming and scrolling-

Boston Elevated Railway Track Plans, 1915 ► Plate 026: http://www.wardmaps.com/viewasset.php?aid=9620

Same caveat- the Bromley maps are split down Washington St. http://www.wardmaps.com/viewasset.php?aid=7183

and, from "When Boston Rode the El", one of the Images of America multitude (top of p103- notice the rounded corner for the Boston Cadet sign)-

http://books.google.com/books?id=FXsLiV ... ry&f=false
 #1190794  by 3rdrail

Yup, I've been thinking about this and I think that you guys are probably on the right track. All of you know what you're talking about. I have come to the conclusion that was has confused me is the telephoto "compression" effect of the photographers lens in that the Dover (E.Berkeley)/Wash intersection is squared off ever since the area east was filled, however Washington Street jogs to the right outbound about 200 feet after the intersection southerly. The telephoto compression makes it seem as if the jog is at the intersection. I was thinking that it's a classic example of why we should always label our photos, wishing that others had done so in the past...but then again, we wouldn't have these intriguing mysteries would we ?
 #1190830  by 3rdrail

OK, let's rev up the old "Quiz" ! :wink:
Where on the old Main Line was the sharpest curve on revenue track ?
 #1190843  by 3rdrail

Nope, it wasn't the "D". You would have thought so, though. I have a small section of 01100 wheel with flange- it still screeches out from the Dudley curve !
 #1190852  by jwhite07

I'm going to guess the curve from Causeway to North Washington.
 #1190878  by 3rdrail

Ooooo!!! I hate to flunk a fellow Northeastern alumnae, but sadly, no. :(
 #1190882  by BostonUrbEx

The Sullivan Square loop. Wait, ergh... not sure if that was a revenue loop...

EDIT: The curve leading towards Everett right after Sully Sq.
 #1190886  by 3rdrail

Yay!!! You got it Urbie ! It had to be constantly lubricated and watched carefully and had the added precaution of being super elevated (banked) so as to bring the center of gravity down to help centrifugal forces from wanting the train to climb the track when the train said "straight" but the track said "curve". Well done buddy ! Good guess, Josh. That was a tight one too. I know that there were automatic sprayers there. Another "Quiz" tomorrow !