Railroad Forums 

• Quiz...

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1195862  by 3rdrail

Mbta fan wrote:3rd rail if sery argues u can always put the jewelry on him. :) (sorry sery)
Not me. I'm afraid of him ! Ask Urbie-sery is just waiting to charge both of us with a violation of MGL C90 S99b-Wantonly Being Off-Topic. He follows us everywhere we go with his ticket book in hand ! I feel like "Dirty Harry" Callahan's suspect after he got himself beat up!
 #1197795  by MBTA1016

Happy 4th of July everyone. Dick Donahue was honored by the Boston pops and Keith Lockhart let him conduct the pops while they played "Shipping up to Boston". That's class by them. Keith also did a quick Irish step dance during this.
Thanks to all the vets and all the troops overseas and at home.
And thanks to all first responders around the Boston area as well.
 #1197821  by Teamdriver

3rdrail wrote:
Mbta fan wrote:3rd rail if sery argues u can always put the jewelry on him. :) (sorry sery)
Not me. I'm afraid of him ! Ask Urbie-sery is just waiting to charge both of us with a violation of MGL C90 S99b-Wantonly Being Off-Topic. He follows us everywhere we go with his ticket book in hand ! I feel like "Dirty Harry" Callahan's suspect after he got himself beat up!
My Rail , didnt you get to use the taser? That must have facilitated things. ( nothing against you mr sery ) .
 #1197983  by 3rdrail

No, I'd probably electrocute myself, never having even seen one. No tasers are issued on BPD. I used to try to make up a makeshift one by having the opponent touch both terminals of my trusty 9-volt battery. I'll bet that they never forgot that !
 #1198045  by 3rdrail

What is that, a cattle prod ? Wished I had had one of those when I first met my ex.

OK, what is it that we love most on a Friday evening ? It's a Quiz !!! Yay !!!! OK, this one may be hard, may be easy depending on your background. I'm going to show you pictures of five truck sideframes used on BERy and Eastern Mass cars. For each, tell me the MANUFACTURER, MODEL DESIGNATION, WHAT CARS THEY WERE USED ON, & WHAT CLASS (large-lightweight-city) THEY WERE IN. 5 Points for each question answered correctly. Extra bonus points for picking out the EM truck (which will not be disclosed until the end). Good luck ! (Frame letter under photo, ie. "quiza", etc.)
Attachments:
(101.33 KiB) Downloaded 14486 times
(125.83 KiB) Downloaded 14486 times
(152.86 KiB) Downloaded 14486 times
 #1198046  by 3rdrail

Two more ! Take note, if you are an O-scale streetcar modeler, this stuff should be easy. As a matter of fact, it's so out of print that I'll tell you my source for the pictures and that is the Wagner Car Company O-scale Trolley Truck catalogue, circa @ 1973. If nobody touches it by tomorrow afternoon, I'll make it easier.
Attachments:
(129.76 KiB) Downloaded 14486 times
(136.54 KiB) Downloaded 14486 times
 #1198100  by 3rdrail

Jessica says:
Attachments:
(55.39 KiB) Downloaded 14463 times
 #1198193  by Teamdriver

Mack_Suspensions.pdf
Closest I Can come up with is camelback ride or something similar, My Rail. Maybe half a point ? I offer , from my bag of tricks, comparable industrial application from,

http://www.macktrucks.com/assets/mack/M ... nsions.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1198254  by 3rdrail

Oops...I see leaf springs ! 1/2 point ! (I was intrigued by those "Walking Bars" and can see how they would reduce the force on an axle. Leave it to Mack. They were the Pullman of the truck and bus world.The MTA's 2200 and 100 series Mack buses were tanks (as were the GMC's). They junked them as fully functional when the "New Looks" came in.

OK, I knew that this was going to be a tough one...but not this tough. Let me see if I can give this a little shove. I'm going to give you the answer to what streetcars these trucks were on part of the question. However, I'm going to give you ten possibilities and as we know, there are five truck styles. So, the trucks pictured belonged to:

East Boston 0500's (Pullmans)
Type 3
Type 4
Type 5
Eastern Mass 4000 Class
Eastern Mass 6100 Class
Eastern Mass 7000 Class
Cambridge-Dorchester 06/0700's
Main Line 0900's
Center Entrance Motors

And since "Teamdriver" has agreed to make sure that I am constantly supplied with Anchor Steam during festive occasions, I'll throw in the manufacturers. Same deal.

EMD (GM)
Baldwin
Peckham
Cincinnati
St. Louis
Brill
Standard
Bay State
Master Car Builders
Radio Flyer

Good luck !
Attachments:
(73.73 KiB) Downloaded 14405 times
 #1198340  by 3rdrail

Absolutely. Doyles is a happy provider of Anchor Steam Beer. By the way, don't let any bar floozy tell you that they use "steam in the manufacture" or other such nonsense. From time to time, they float little fibs ! I stood shoulder to shoulder in an Embarcadero bar speaking with a company rep and the company claims that they have no real idea how the beer got that name ! (Yikes - just went on-line to their store to see about picking up one of those "Anchor - Steam" neon bar lights-$225!!!)

Hahaha!!! You're leading the herd with your 1/2 point, TD ! :P
Last edited by 3rdrail on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1198357  by MBTA1016

Paul that has to be the lowest points lead on any quiz you've had. He deserves something for that alone. :)
Good job team driver, setting the record for lowest points lead ever.
 #1198363  by 3rdrail

Yeah, I think that I over-reached with this one. I'm going to officially declare Teamdriver as the winner at 1/2 Point ! Yayyy !!! TD, our audience wants to know - How did you prepare for this momentous win ? Were years of intense academic study involved ? Did you boldly piece by piece dissect a purchased old streetcar ? Anyway, congratulations for your stunning win as the one and only man brave enough to part the waters and dive in for the gold ! I salute you with an Anchor Steam. Know with every sip that you have gone where no man dared to tread, that you know not the agony of defeat, and that victory is yours my friend !

In honor of this special, individual, and distinguished award, I would like to award you an MTA Surface Lines hardcover Rulebook dated July 1952 which every operator of a period Bus, Type 4, 5, CE, Trackless Trolley, and PCC car carried so as to advise him of protocol in any unforeseen event. Includes a full index from accidents to windows as well as a separate Trackless Trolley chapter. Please private message me with your address and I will mail it to you.

Answers to Quiz

A - Brill 27MCB, 78" wheelbase used on Cambridge-Dorchester 06/0700 cars, Heavyweight Class.
B - Standard C60, 78" wheelbase used on Main Line 0900 cars, Heavyweight Class.
C - Standard C35, 62" wheelbase used on Type 5's, Lightweight Class.
D - Brill 77EX, 64" wheelbase used on Center Entrance Motors, Lightweight Class.
E - Bay State 12C, 58" wheelbase used on Eastern Mass 4000's, City Car Class.
Attachments:
(13.82 KiB) Downloaded 14341 times