• MBTA Subway/Commuter Rail Models

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by sery2831

There is a company named Island Modelworks that is interested in making some Boston subway car models. If they get enough buyers these models will become a reality. If you are serious about wanting to purchase them please email them and let them know!

Here is the web page about the possible cars: http://islandmodelworks.com/Boston.html
  by 3rdrail

Sounds like a great idea ! God knows, NYC has been done to death ! Love to see a 1923 Pullman #1 E B Tunnel Car. (Wish they'd do some in "O".)
  by Gerry6309

Agreed on the 1923 cars. Sadly Mr. Panse's pictures are mostly cars which replaced classics. Those generic Red Line cars are great for details - number boards, headlights and cabs. - four possibilities from one generic model...
  by StevieC48

Yea I wrote him to place an order for a 4 car train of Blue Line cars and about how the Red Line cars were originaly delivered and this was his reply:

Hello Steve,The Blue line cars are attracting the most attention and will mostlikely be produced in the next month or two as we finish up a few otherprojects first. I agree with you that the Red line cars looked better withthe simpler paint scheme, I am not at all familiar with the Boston area aretrains, we are looking to expand our line of models and looking to coverthe North East first.Thanks,JoeIsland Modelworks LLC
  by diburning

I emailed them and they told me the same thing. I told him in detail about all of the different series of cars. They said that they may make a F40PH-2C in the future.

All of them will be unpainted. The modeller paints them themselves.
  by jetfan

Hello Guys,
A quick update, we will also be releasing the Orange line 1200's as well as the 0600's which are now available for purchase. Pictures of both models will be up next week. Thanks for your interest.
Joe
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

I am so excited for this.

So I take it that you all have built there models?
Were they easy to do?
I have some modeling skills, but I have not bought anything like this. can anyone give some of us novice some advice about what we might be facing?

Thanks!
  by StevieC48

Painting the car with theproper colors, powering the car to it runs and put the floor to the body of the car. Have someone to help you and it is a metal casting a lot harder to work with than plastic models.

:wink:
  by diburning

It's an unpainted shell and unpowered chassis. You buy a Bowser drive to power it and you have to paint it yourself.

Not too hard. I don't know where you can get the numberboard and rollsign decals though.

For coupling, I'd use a drawbar between cars then put a dummy tomlinson coupler on the ends or something. There aren't any working subway/trolley couplers in HO scale. The only HO tomlinson couplers are dummys.
  by R36 Combine Coach

You should also make a PATH PA3 model from the same chassis as the 0600, but longer (51' versus 48'). The 0600s and 01200s were based on the 1972 PATH cars.
  by jetfan

We already offer the PATH PA-4's, using the sales of that model as a gauge, we won't be producing any more PATH cars in the future.
  by BayColony1706

Any thought on putting out some Green Line cars? It would be awesome to have some Type 7's and maybe 8's. :-D Just my thoughts.
  by scoopernicus_in_Maine

Any thought on putting out some Green Line cars? It would be awesome to have some Type 7's and maybe 8's. Just my thoughts.
I was able to get an HO scale Boeing LRV trhough eBay, but I'd love to be able to find someone who made Type 7's.
  by BayColony1706

I had bought 4 of the Boings ( I think they are made by IHC), and also have a couple custom MTA PCCs, but T7's are definitely on my wish list.
  by scoopernicus_in_Maine

I've seen HO scale PCC's sold, though not with Boston livery.