Railroad Forums 

• 01700 UTDC Midlife Rebuild

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#958365  by Robert Paniagua

I know, I almost cant determine which UTDC Car is a classic or rehab one, except for the cheery bright paint scheme both inside and out. Certailny not like the Washington Metrorail Breda 2 & 3000s which I could easily determine which was a classic and rehab.

On Monday, I rode 01740 and as far as that's concerned, 01740/41 is still in classic mode, that is, non-rehabbed
 #958455  by Finch

I would venture to say that the majority of work happening to these cars is not easily visible from the platform or the passenger compartment. Lots going on "under the hood" though.
 #981227  by F-line to Dudley via Park

This is going painfully slow. That makes only 4 in-service rebuilds since the program started Aug. 2010. Only 6 other OOS cars have been in the program for any length of time, so unless they're going to pick up the pace considerably this Fall we're looking at another F-U-N winter of reliability with the legacy fleet.
 #985993  by diburning

I'd say yes. The noise from the wheels come from the flat spots. Since they ground the wheels before releasing the pair, the wheels are very close to round. I didn't notice much flange squeal, but that's because I only rode it from JFK/UMass to Central, which is pretty much a straight shot, and any curves are wide enough to not generate much if any squeal on the retaining rail.

As for running over joints and switches, you'd hear the sound, but you wouldn't feel it much. They worked wonders on the suspension.
 #986024  by ck4049

I rode on 01707 through the big curve just south of Harvard and they squeak & squeal just like everything else, only the rehabbed cars were a little more quiet.
 #986093  by boblothrope

diburning wrote:I'd say yes. The noise from the wheels come from the flat spots. Since they ground the wheels before releasing the pair, the wheels are very close to round.
Did they do anything to keep the flat spots from coming back, such as an anti-slip braking system?
 #986096  by diburning

That I cannot answer as I do not know. However, it's not just the wheelslip when braking that causes flat spots. Over time, running over switches and joints will produce them as well.

The way that the brakes work on the red line cars (from what I can see, on all types of cars) is that when the air is released (brakes released) the brake shoes don't appear to spring back away from the wheel. Instead, the brake shoe stays in place (with little to no force applied) until the wheel pushes it out of the way as the train is accelerating so that the brake shoe is very close to the wheel when the air is applied to start braking.
 #986156  by typesix

No anti-slide(slip is when powering up) on brakes, as they are to be trainlined with 01500s and 01600s.