• Type 7 Overhaul Program

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by PublicTransitUSA

SNEAK PEEK! The environment has been removed (photoshopped) to protect the innocent. But the train is the real deal.

LEDs everywhere. 3rd brake light. Inverter.
  by Bramdeisroberts

It's nice to see the Type 7's finally getting the TLC that they deserve. If only the T took that kind of care of the rest of the fleet, maybe then we'd actually have a useable system (if I had a dollar for everyone I know who's given up on commuting via the Red Line because of broken-down trains causing >15 minute delays and random stoppages which are now a multiple-times-a-week fixture on that commute, then I'd be a rich man indeed)

It took a while, but props to Alstom for what at least appears to be a job well done.
  by CircusFreakGRITZ

Glad to see the third brake light!

Also, glad to see they raised the partition next to the center doors on the inside of the car so that the salts in the winter won't corrode it as much anymore!
  by CRail

Good catch! I didn't even notice the brake light. I don't understand why that's necessary, though, as I think the marker lights should be enough to accomplish the triangulation effect. Maybe it's so the car 2 or more positions back can tell the streetcar is slowing down/stopping. Interesting in any event.

I wish they left the colored seats alone :(
  by Gerry6309

CRail wrote:Good catch! I didn't even notice the brake light. I don't understand why that's necessary, though, as I think the marker lights should be enough to accomplish the triangulation effect. Maybe it's so the car 2 or more positions back can tell the streetcar is slowing down/stopping. Interesting in any event.

I wish they left the colored seats alone :(
I also liked the colored seats, but they take a beating, and black is easier to stock than black, orange and blue. At least the cars still have something of a cushion, and there are still some decent transverse seats.

Cars 3600-3649 lose their pull cords for the stop request - now only the PCCs have them.
  by jwhite07

And the fake woodgrain "paneling" lives on! How 1980s!
  by Type7trolley

Interesting that they fudged the number placement on 3615 after getting it right the first time around. Also not sure why they're leaving (reapplying?) the additional set of numbers in the windshield which were put there when the front of the cars were obscured by ads back around 2006. Unless the T is thinking about doing that again someday... probably a bad idea considering those ads caused a good portion of the paint/body damage that this rebuild is addressing.
  by diburning

One of these things is not like the other...

3614's "nose" paint lines up with the bottom of the metal windshield sill, and matches the line with the side of the car. 3615's nose paint line goes above the windshield sill line, and is higher than the side of the car. That was the first thing that popped out at me.

Also, it looks like the articulated section has been replaced. The bellows/accordion part of the articulation appears to be silver/metallic like the Type 8s (from the photos).
  by ck4049

I'm just glad they're painting the cars GREEN again. After all it's the green line and not the teal line.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

ck4049 wrote:I'm just glad they're painting the cars GREEN again. After all it's the green line and not the rust line.
Fixed that for you. :wink:
  by BandA

Haven't these units been out for quite a while?
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

BandA wrote:Haven't these units been out for quite a while?
Pilots. Pilot cars get scrutinized to hell and re- re- re- modified to finalize the rebuild program spec to the letter. Then when everyone's happy, they start churning them through fast. The program's well behind schedule, but it's not like we'll be waiting until 2023 to see the end of it. There'll be a conga line of flatbeds at Riverside going both directions...take a penny, leave a penny...in several months.

Also...the worst of the operable units are going first. The backside of the program will crank through the healthier specimens a lot faster.
  by ck4049

They're literally pulling active cars out of service and sending them to Alstom. I'm surprised they aren't sending ones out that are already out of service for slewing bearing issues, missing parts, draft gear, etc:
  by Finch

ck4049 wrote:They're literally pulling active cars out of service and sending them to Alstom. I'm surprised they aren't sending ones out that are already out of service for slewing bearing issues, missing parts, draft gear, etc:
They're not all good cars at Alstom. Several of them are wrecks/yardbirds/missing parts/etc.