North-South Rail Link Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

BandA

Re: North-South Rail Link Discussion

Post by BandA » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:31 pm

What I've read around here implies FRA regulations are much more cumbersome and backward than FTA regulations, making new CR somewhat less efficient than subway (or interurban)??

CRail

Post by CRail » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:00 am

BandA wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:55 pm
Should the fare be $2.25 between BOS & BON or should it be $13 to reflect the actual cost of providing the service through brand new tunnels with brand new deep stations?
There should be a $36 toll for every vehicle utilizing the Tip O'Neal and Ted Williams tunnels to reflect the actual cost of constructing that infrastructure, and a $78 toll should be assessed to uber, lyft, and commercial vehicles which profit off said infrastructure. When that happens, your ridiculous notion of 100% farebox recovery may be entertained.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).

BandA

Post by BandA » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:30 am

$36 seems high even for the Big Dig. Passenger cars, taxis, uber, lyft, etc take up the same amount of space & should pay the same tolls. Out-of-state Ez-Pass should pay the same rate. Whatever NYC charges, charge half.

MBTA is valuable public infrastructure that it's riders should be happy to pay for, especially if they want more.

CRail

Post by CRail » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:50 pm

The interstate highway system is valuable public infrastructure that its users should be happy to pay for, especially if they are using it for their own profit.

daybeers

Post by daybeers » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:46 pm

CRail wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:50 pm
The interstate highway system is valuable public infrastructure that its users should be happy to pay for, especially if they are using it for their own profit.
This 100%! People don't realize how much interstates cost the federal and state governments annually, and some states don't even have tolls, like my home state of CT.

BandA

Post by BandA » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:25 pm

CT is making plans to add back the tolls, or at least CT, MA & RI governors were talking about it. RI has already added truck tolls so that it is hidden from the regular population (and trucks do cause additional wear that cars don't)

BandA

Post by BandA » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:07 am

daybeers wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:46 pm
CRail wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:50 pm
This 100%! People don't realize how much interstates cost the federal and state governments annually, and some states don't even have tolls, like my home state of CT.
CRail's post really got me irritated - basically he wants his super-expensive N-S rail link & he wants someone else to pay for it. Not fair.

Gas taxes need to go up to cover road costs, would 50¢/gal more federal road tax solve for average road costs? State fuel tax needs to go up but not to exceed 5¢ above surrounding states. Electric & alternative-fuel vehicles need to pay a per-mile fee if they don't already. Tolls need to be removed on the Mass Pike from exit 4 (Springfield) to 17 (128) and from the Mystic River/Tobin Bridge. New tolls need to be added to the Big Dig. Tolls on the Turnpike Extension should be matched with new tolls on RT1, RT2, Southeast Expressway, Storrow Drive & Memorial Drive. All toll discounts should be eliminated. This should drive a few new customers to the T.

Transit rates need to be reformed - Subways, Express Bus & Commuter Rail should all pay similar rates per-mile. Extra cost for "Premium" areas like traversing BOS, BON, N-S rail link or the downtown subway stations.

The state budget https://budget.digital.mass.gov/bb/gaa/fy2020/ includes an astoundingly low 1.3% for transportation, down from 7% a few years ago.

CRail

Post by CRail » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:28 am

If you think I'm pro-NSRL you've not been paying attention, though perhaps your notion serves as evidence to how objectively I moderate? The Commonwealth (MassDOT/MBTA/Massport/MassPike/MassHighway/MDC/MWRA/the state police...) has absolutly no business reopening the barely healed incision wound that should've included this project in the first place. If Amtrak wants to be able to add Portland to the NEC, then the feds can pay for the connection.

What gets me irritated is the idea that public transportation riders need to pay to cover the cost of their services while private automobile users enjoy tremendous subsidies of infrastructure capital and maintenance costs. Political automotive favoritism is 70 years overdue for extinction and the Big Dig is the most obvious example with other catastrophic failures like the Southwest expressway and inner-belt highway serving as earlier examples of tremendous waste thanks to an unhealthy obsession with personal car travel. I'm a Massachusetts taxpayer, anything that I "want" Massachusetts to pay for is something I'd be paying for, so your use of typical "fiscal conservative" propaganda suggesting that " someone else to pay for it" is utterly preposterous and quite frankly slanderous.

Return to “Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)”