Railroad Forums 

• accident on Newbury/Rockport line

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#27767  by GP40MC1118

It wasn't a grade crossing accident. Someone driving a van drove off
Broadway, down the embankment, through a few trees and off the
retaining wall to the mainline at Everett Jct. Then #1109 came along
and hit the van. GP40MC 1116 was the power.

#27789  by CSX Conductor

How the heck?? thats that dam Saturday afternoon RTe 99 and rte 16 traffic for ya............people will try anything to find a short-cut to that Gateway Plaza!!

#27810  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

oh, it just said there was a accident involving a train vs. car, so i assumed it was at a grade crossing

#27830  by Ron Newman

Was anyone in the train hurt? How badly was the train damaged?

#27882  by octr202

Its in the City & Region Section of the Globe this morning:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... _of_train/

Van plunges into path of train
By Michael Levenson, Globe Correspondent | June 20, 2004

EVERETT -- A white Ford van careened off a rotary here yesterday, crashing through a guard rail and a chain link fence before plummeting 20 feet onto a set of railroad tracks, where it was hit by a commuter rail train, authorities said.

The driver, 39-year-old David West of Malden, was rushed to Massachusetts General Hospital with serious head injuries. He was listed in critical condition but was expected to survive, State Police Sergeant Paul Letsche said.

State Police were not sure what caused West to lose control of his van on the Route 99 rotary near Route 16. State Police are investigating the accident. The train, carrying about 110 people, stopped for about an hour at the scene of crash, its passengers still inside. Rescuers picked through the wreckage and photographed the damage to the 1994 Econoline van before the train blasted its whistle and continued to its final destination in Rockport.

No passengers were injured and the train itself was unharmed, MBTA spokesman Joseph Pesaturo said. When the engineer spotted the van resting across the tracks, he braked, but was able only to slow the locomotive to about 40 miles per hour before the collision, Pesaturo said. The van's windshield was crushed and its roof and sides dented.

Surveying the wreckage from a bridge, Trooper James Bedford said the damage to the van could have been much worse.

"I figured it would be ripped in half," he said. "The locomotive must have just glanced it. It pretty much knocked it aside."

© Copyright 2004 Globe Newspaper Company.

#27906  by efin98

I take it the van struck a sparesly populated or closed off car otherwise more injuries would have resulted?

#27917  by Ron Newman

From reading the article, it sounds like the van was already on the tracks and was then hit by the train. I don't know whether the lead car was an engine.
 #27925  by GP40MC1118

There were no injuries to passengers or crew, although I hear
the engineer was shaken up after rounding the corner and
seeing a van in the middle of the two mainlines.

No serious equipment damage either....

#27937  by CSX Conductor

Ron, loco was head-out....train was outbound from North Station

#27990  by NealG

I was stuck at Ipswich Station waiting for the 3pm inbound. No info was posted on the LED sign (it kept flashing "Ipswich Station"). Luckily people had the sense to call the MBTA to find out what was going on. The inbound finally arrived at 4:04 PM. Kudos to the crew for wasting no time getting back into Boston. We were at North Station by 4:40 or so.

#27992  by Xplorer2000

At least we know those "Safety Cabs" are worth it now, too!!! :D
I couldn't figure it ot when I first heard it myself on the radio, because they only wayit could where they decribed it was pretty much the way it happened: somebody off the road somehow landed on the R.O.W....
I am surprised they didn't pull the trainset out of service. Must really have been only a glancing blow.

#28210  by CSX Conductor

Explorer, it's simple mathematics::::>>>> 100 ton locomotive versus a 1 or 2 ton van made of thin metal = train wins :wink: