• Anyone have precise subway schedules?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Reddy Rocker

The thing about the subway "schedules" is that they are virtually non-existant. The trains never leave consistently with the "schedule".

by Leo Sullivan

What's the point of a post like the one above?
Yes, there are schedules for departure from Rapid Transit terminals and, those of us who have spent many hours observing those departures, know that almost all trains depart within a minute or two of the 'advertised'. Delays arise from slow loading and occasionally from a breakdown or other 'event'.
If a train does not arrive in time for departure, it will be late.
When a train is late, it will get a heavier load, this will delay the train even more, delaying arrival and subsequent departures. the only remedy is 'expressing' a train.
LS

by nightowl

http://trip.mbta.com/cgi-bin/sched_page_dhtml.pl

You pick a station, and a time and it will give you the scheduled departure times. It is correct at least for Forest Hills. I've had less luck with non-terminal stations.

by CSX Conductor

at locations where bus schedules are available (i.e. Park street and Downtown crossing) there is also a Rapid Transit schedule. although exact departure times are not listed for the whole day....the frequency is listed for origin departures between the first departure and last departure.

by parovozis

the frequency is listed for origin departures between the first departure and last departure.
Frequencies are useless for trip planning if trains are rare.

by CSX Conductor

well, considering that the MBTA's schedule during off-peak is no more than 15 minutes...... if you're trying to plan a tight scheduled trip, leave a bit more travel time for your commute
  by AmeriKenArtist

A very strange question indeed! Ken

by parovozis

I see nothing unusual about this question. For instance, my bus goes only once an hour. If I miss my bus, I have to wait for another hour. On the other hand, after a class I want to talk to my students, and I want to spend as much time with them as possible. Therefore, I want to take the latest Red line train that still brings me to the bus. I am talking about 7PM-8PM time period, when RL trains are not as sparse as on OL on Sunday yet, but not as frequent as on BL on weekdays. If I had the schedule, I could plan my trip. If I had not (and I did not), I would have to learn it by trial and error (and I did, and missed my bus several times). Having precise and rigorously enforced public timetables is what makes a good transit system. See Japan, Germany, etc.

by caduceus

Interesting app...I wonder why it says June 17th is a holiday schedule?

I know the T has what would be their "ideal" schedule, but my feeling is the schedule really only can be implemented at the begining of the day, or as trains are added, but the latter is more difficult. As the day wears on, the various delays get in the way, so the rest of the day is spent trying to maintain headways as best they can.

I've seen them express trains on the Red Line every now and then. On the Orange Line, I've only seen it once.

by efin98

June 17th is a holiday, at least in Suffolk County(Chelsea, Revere, Winthrop, and Boston). Trains and buses might compensate for the lack of rush hour riders and school specials then.

by Ron Newman

The printed bus and subway schedule leaflets all say "June 17 - See Weekday".

by FatNoah

For instance, my bus goes only once an hour.
I'm not impressed. :wink: My bus goes by twice in the morning and once in the afternoon. If I miss it I only have to walk a mile...but it's the principle! (FYI, it's the 170)

by caduceus

Ah, yes...let's see, there was Evacuation Day, and Bunker Hill Day in Suffolk County (I used to work for the state but outside Boston, so we got floating holidays). I think this must be Bunker Hill Day. I'm pretty sure Evacuation Day == St. Patrick's Day.

by efin98

Caduceus, on the money. I am starting to think the two county holidays are only listed as a matter of fact for the on all schedules but only really affect the school specials. Put them on some, have to put them on all :wink:.