Railroad Forums 

• Location of old el station near Bunker Hill

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#22697  by bellstbarn

I recall getting off a train at an elevated station to visit Bunker Hill in 1969. What street intersection was the location? I think it was on the Forest Hills - to - Everett line, but what was the name of the station? Many thanks!

#22702  by jrc520

Thompson Square. Most likely, since it was the closest. Currently gone, was to be made into a restaurant, but burning in a fire.

#22763  by efin98

I know this area well, visited the area quite frequently for years :D

Did you visit the monument or the actual hill? If you visited the monument you would have gotten off at City Square(it's really between both stations, but the walk from City Square is less steep). If you visited the actual hill and neighborhood on the hill then you would have gotten off at Thompson Square.

Another question, did the station you used have two platforms or one platform? Thompson Square has one platform while City Square has two.

#22818  by vanshnookenraggen

That netransit site is great! I just wish they would update it and fix all the broken links.

#22846  by Charliemta

I agree the Netransit site is a good one. The only problem is that for me the photos don't show, just blank white boxes instead with little red x's.

Anyway, I did the same trip to Bunker Hill when I was around 12 or 13: took the "el" by myself to City Square, and walked to the monument, then to the very top. Aaah, the good old days.

So many good memories of the "el."

#22885  by efin98

A shame that the only evidence today that there was ever a rail line in Charlestown is a single picture in the park in City Square of the station there just before it's opening. :(