• Assembly Square Orange Line Station Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by jake1966

Picture taken Saturday morning June 14th. Looks like the 3rd rail has been installed on the south side track.
  by SM89

This morning I noticed that the new inbound track is in service and they're no longer using the express track.
  by octr202

Sorta - the inbounds are now running via the new track on the west side of the station. This morning there was work equipment on the middle track (to become the outbound main), which is now disconnected. The outbound main was still connected to the express/test track.
  by Arlington

Woohoo! They appear to be on schedule for a August station-opening date! Here's an update from the MBTA Assembly Square project Page
As of July 1, 2014, the Assembly Station Project has completed the new southbound track, which is now in service.
The rebuilt northbound track is scheduled to go into service on July 21, 2014.
Assembly Station is targeting an August 2014 opening date and substantial completion is anticipated in November 2014
• Slower train speed between Wellington and Sullivan Square
• Suspended subway service beginning at approximately 9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday from July 6, 2014, through August 28, 2014.
• Weekend diversions scheduled for July 19-20 and August 9-10
  by Arlington

Ok, so if the last weekend diversion is scheduled for August 9/10, does that mean that the station will open in August as touted on the page http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/t_pr ... p?id=22873" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by The EGE

It seems like a solid bet. Sunday through Thursday night busing for the rest of the month, but the station isn't going to be 100% finished till November anyway.
  by StefanW

I have credible inside information that the official grand opening will be one week from today: Tuesday September 2.
  by Arlington

StefanW wrote:I have credible inside information that the official grand opening will be one week from today: Tuesday September 2.
Yaaay! Labor Tuesday is when everyone is "back to work" and "back to school" (and often starting new commutes...resulting in more rookie errors and some of the worst commuter experiences of the year) it should help to "load-balance" some of that to the orange line.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Arlington wrote:
StefanW wrote:I have credible inside information that the official grand opening will be one week from today: Tuesday September 2.
Yaaay! Labor Tuesday is when everyone is "back to work" and "back to school" (and often starting new commutes...resulting in more rookie errors and some of the worst commuter experiences of the year) it should help to "load-balance" some of that to the orange line.
Now that rents in Somerville have priced everyone the hell out of town, chances of a battle royale between a UHaul driven by somebody's dad vs. the Medford Street bridge hosing Orange and Haverhill service for the whole A.M. rush increase 7% each year!
  by djimpact1

I hope it's certainly credible, as I'm using this as the basis for taking a day off from work. I don't want to be "that guy" who shows up to work & has to rescind my day off, ha. :wink: Time to fire-up the camera!
  by dieciduej

Going thru it every morning & afternoon, the platform looks like it is ready to go with the exception of the 3rd rail power cut-off box. Also the windows need to be trimmed out, the supporting wood sills and headers are exposed. Devil is in the details!!! :P The area around the station needs to be worked. I say good to go.

JoeD
  by Arlington

diburning wrote:Is there some sort of opening ceremony planned, or will it just open at the beginning of service on Tuesday?
Word (via Facebook) is 2:30pm ribbon cutting with the Governor
  by diburning

Any word on whether the station be open before then? I'd like to go take some pictures of the place, but I have somewhere to be in the afternoon.

EDIT: Found the answer on the MBTA website. The answer is yes, it will be open at the start of service Tuesday.