Railroad Forums 

• Assembly Square Orange Line Station Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1245582  by The EGE

The luckiest shot I've perhaps ever taken: I focused on the Orange Line train and only noticed the two commuter trains after I pressed the shutter. A third CR train was under me, too!

#1245632  by The EGE

That shot is from the Mystic Avenue bridge, near Sullivan Square. The small-opening chain link fence makes pictures any wider than that impossible, which is a shame - it's the only portion of the Orange Line - Haverhill Line - Newburyport/Rockport Line gathering not under the I-93 shadow.

When it opens, the entrance lobbies of the station are going to have a nice view of both bridges and the corridor as far as Sullivan Square. It'll be a hell of a place to railfan.
 #1245785  by octr202

Very nice, indeed. I love how when you ride through there (particularly on the Western route) as a passenger you really have no idea of the curves involved - you'd think it was all straight along that stretch.
 #1245868  by deathtopumpkins

octr202 wrote:Very nice, indeed. I love how when you ride through there (particularly on the Western route) as a passenger you really have no idea of the curves involved - you'd think it was all straight along that stretch.
Well it normally is straight. The curve is just temporary around Assembly Square construction. The picture (nice shot, btw!) does make it look particularly pronounced though.
 #1245908  by MBTA3247

deathtopumpkins wrote:
octr202 wrote:Very nice, indeed. I love how when you ride through there (particularly on the Western route) as a passenger you really have no idea of the curves involved - you'd think it was all straight along that stretch.
Well it normally is straight. The curve is just temporary around Assembly Square construction. The picture (nice shot, btw!) does make it look particularly pronounced though.
The curve has been there as long as the Orange Line has.
 #1245929  by deathtopumpkins

MBTA3247 wrote:
deathtopumpkins wrote:

I thought he was referring to the jog around the Assembly Square site, sorry.
 #1246038  by Teamdriver

The EGE wrote:That shot is from the Mystic Avenue bridge, near Sullivan Square. The small-opening chain link fence makes pictures any wider than that impossible, which is a shame - it's the only portion of the Orange Line - Haverhill Line - Newburyport/Rockport Line gathering not under the I-93 shadow.

When it opens, the entrance lobbies of the station are going to have a nice view of both bridges and the corridor as far as Sullivan Square. It'll be a hell of a place to railfan.

Here are links to old pics of said Mystic Ave bridge :

http://www.historicnewengland.org/colle ... 6.190.0430" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.historicnewengland.org/colle ... 6.190.0440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.historicnewengland.org/colle ... 6.190.0450" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1246042  by octr202

deathtopumpkins wrote:
MBTA3247 wrote:
deathtopumpkins wrote:

I thought he was referring to the jog around the Assembly Square site, sorry.
Exactly - It's a lot more exaggerated with the Orange Line now jogged over, but I had been riding the Western for some time before I realized there was a bit of a curve in there.
 #1264910  by The EGE

Progress is looking good. Glass and external finish panels are up on all the headhouses, the bridge modifications look finished, and it looks like they're laying gravel for the inbound track. Concrete bits on the platform make it look like there will be on-platform shelters very similar to the other north-side Orange Line stations.
 #1265774  by octr202

This morning (4-25-14) construction crews were wrangling one of the first sections of welded rail where the future inbound track will go on the west side of the station.
 #1269213  by dieciduej

As of Saturday, May 10th, they have laid running rail into the southbound side of the platform. There is still assorted equipment in the south end of the southbound pit so I figure it will another week or two before the tracks run out the south end.

JoeD
 #1270076  by dieciduej

The track is now on the south-side of the new station. Just the running rails only, the other rail is being pulled on to the tie plates.

JoeD
Attachments:
Assembly Sq Track.jpg
Assembly Sq Track.jpg (335.21 KiB) Viewed 3106 times