Railroad Forums 

• Assembly Square Orange Line Station Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#301601  by StevieC48

I heard rumors of that now I see it in newsprint. That must be a good sign. LOL :wink:

#301617  by Pete

The T has said that it won't build any station at Assembly Square without guarantees of the kinds of development that will generate high enough ridership to justify the investment. And those guarantees don't yet exist.

The funding's important, but right now there's no plan moving forward to fund.

#301628  by helium

The article states that the Feds have approved $25 million for the station.
How much can an at grade station cost?
All they need to build is the platforms, they don't even need a building, just make it like Lechmere with a few weather shelters.

#301657  by AznSumtinSumtin

In my opinion, building an Assembly Square stop is just a waste of money. No a lot of people goes to that place as it is, and it's within walking distance of Sullivan Square. What we really need is a stop right in front of my house. :-D

#301674  by WonderlandMan

AznSumtinSumtin wrote:In my opinion, building an Assembly Square stop is just a waste of money. No a lot of people goes to that place as it is, and it's within walking distance of Sullivan Square. What we really need is a stop right in front of my house. :-D
That area has gotten a real facelift in the past 5 years, alot of new stores open up. That area has potential, dont forget about Goodtimes, Boston Paintball, Home Depot, Lowes Theater, etc.

I think it'd be a very good idea, especially if funding is already approved

#301831  by dieciduej

I think one of the big factors is if IKEA goes in at Assembly Sq or not. The IKEA project is for the store and residential/commercial on the old steel mill site, I think that was what is was, Spaulding Brick and the old B&M Yard 12. The trouble is how much low and moderate income housing and NIMBY-ism. If the IKEA dies so will the station.

JoeD

#301845  by vanshnookenraggen

If anything a T stop will probably spur development.

#301929  by scoopernicus_in_Maine

Forgive my ignorance of Boston area locations. (As a starving grad student I rarely strayed beyond my apartment near Mission Hill, and my classes at Boylston) Is Assembly Square between two existing Orange Line stops, or would it be an extension of the Orange Line?

#301930  by octr202

scoopernicus_in_Maine wrote:Forgive my ignorance of Boston area locations. (As a starving grad student I rarely strayed beyond my apartment near Mission Hill, and my classes at Boylston) Is Assembly Square between two existing Orange Line stops, or would it be an extension of the Orange Line?
It would/will be located between Wellington and Sullivan, south of the Mystic River.

#301934  by scoopernicus_in_Maine

Thanks. No wonder $25 million seems so steep. For that much, I'd expect an extension, and a Dunkin Donuts kiosk!

#301956  by trainhq

Quick note about IKEA; how you going to carry furniture on the Orange Line? :wink:

#301966  by MBTA3247

helium wrote:The article states that the Feds have approved $25 million for the station.
How much can an at grade station cost?
All they need to build is the platforms, they don't even need a building, just make it like Lechmere with a few weather shelters.
Not quite. Since I've never ridden north of Sullivan Square I can't be certain about this, but I think any new station would have to have the same basic layout as Sullivan Square and Community College: a pair of center platforms between the tracks, and a lobby and concourse above those. They'd have to spread the tracks apart to make room to put the platforms in between. I imagine the best way to do that would be to put in some cross-overs on either end of the new station so one track could be moved at a time while trains used the other two.

#301972  by Ron Newman

It would be a lot easier to add side platforms. The tracks do not need to be moved at all.

#301981  by scoopernicus_in_Maine

<i>Quick note about IKEA; how you going to carry furniture on the Orange Line?</i>

OT, but my girlfriend says she once brought a fouton mattress on the Green Line. :P