Railroad Forums 

• MBTA in other media (ex-MBTA in the movies)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#292870  by Ron Newman

Good Will Hunting. But their geography is confused. Why was he on a Red Line car in Dorchester, when he was travelling between MIT and Southie?

#292887  by sabourinj

Ron Newman wrote:Good Will Hunting. But their geography is confused. Why was he on a Red Line car in Dorchester, when he was travelling between MIT and Southie?
Didn't have the money to get off and pay the exit fare? Sorry... bad joke.

#292894  by McTed

The last train to wonderland. Several scenes were filmed on the Blue Line.

#292917  by Ron Newman

Is that a different film from "Next Stop Wonderland" ?

#292919  by Ron Newman

I can't remember anymore ... are there any MBTA scenes in Mystic River ?

#292921  by StevieC48

The Brinks Job and the TV Show Spencer For Hire. Numerous locations on the and the abandoned Washington St EL. St Elsewere had the OL run in front of it. Malcom X the movie used NYCTA to potray the Boston EL. Cant think of anything else boston related.

#292971  by blink55184

scoopernicus_in_Maine wrote:Field of Dreams had a couple of shots of the Green Line along Huntington Avenue.
yup- real quick tho, like two 4-second blurbs

#292976  by Porter Sq

Blown Away had A pretty long scene shot under the Lechmere Viaduct.

Monument Ave had a couple of Shots outside of T stations.

Boondock Saints and A Civil Action I think both had shots of the Longfellow with or with out the Red Line I can't remember.
Last edited by Porter Sq on Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#293018  by MTD

The pilot for the 1977 NBC TV series James at 15 featured a lengthy montage of the main character (James) travelling all over the T, trying to find a way back to Oregon! :-D I don't remember the details, but I did recall they had a scene inside the Park Street Green Line station where James asks directions to a T information booth employee, when they still had that info both on the platform. The montage had plenty of shots of other stations on the Orange, Green, and Red Lines. Its worth getting a VHS video of this pilot (I think it was a 2-hour TV movie) as it was definitely shot in Boston and shows what the subway stations and the trains looked like at that time.

#293036  by Fred Rabin

St. Elsewhere had, as its opening sequence, a shot of the Orange Line on the Washington Street el.

#293041  by Yellowspoon

scoopernicus_in_Maine wrote:Field of Dreams had a couple of shots of the Green Line along Huntington Avenue.
When Ray (Kostner) went to Terrence's (Jones) apartment, there was a shot of a trackless trolley in the background. The spark looked a bit contrived so I think that scene was faked and not filmed in Massachusetts. Anyone know for sure?

#293093  by ckb

Yellowspoon wrote:
When Ray (Kostner) went to Terrence's (Jones) apartment, there was a shot of a trackless trolley in the background. The spark looked a bit contrived so I think that scene was faked and not filmed in Massachusetts. Anyone know for sure?
You are correct. That scene was staged in Galena Illinois (with a trackless trolley brought in just for the scene)
 #293095  by Cosmo

The 1970-(?) something, (possibly '60-something?) movie "Fuzz" featuring Burt Reynolds and Yul Brenner features some vintage shots of MBTA (Then MTA?) around Charles MGH. Nice Longfellow Bridge shots as well.
There's also an extra treat for NHRR fans, a scene of the Union Freight RR during the chase scene/finale. :P