Railroad Forums 

• Take the train to the Game! (Pat's Train)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#283494  by Dispatcher35

This morning's Starts & Stops section in the Globe said that the MBTA is working with CSX to offer a Worcester / Framingham Pat's train. Does that mean that they will run east to Framingham and then go down the Walpole Secondary just east of the Framingham station?

#283500  by CSX Conductor

That's the easiest way to do it. Hook a right @ CP-21 and head South to Foxboro. (Only a 17 mile trip from Framingham, but @ 10MPH it will be a while). :(

#283582  by TomNelligan

That note in today's Globe caught my attention too, but I can't imagine it happening unless the MBTA comes up with money to fix up the track for operation at a reasonable speed. That 10 mph CSX speed limit is bad enough between Walpole and the stadium, but from Framingham it would be a killer. And I doubt that the MBTA is going to budget money for a line that would be used only a few Sundays a year.

The same story also reported that the MBTA will now sell advance tickets for the Patriots trains.

#283605  by b&m 1566

TomNelligan wrote:That note in today's Globe caught my attention too, but I can't imagine it happening unless the MBTA comes up with money to fix up the track for operation at a reasonable speed. That 10 mph CSX speed limit is bad enough between Walpole and the stadium, but from Framingham it would be a killer. And I doubt that the MBTA is going to budget money for a line that would be used only a few Sundays a year.

The same story also reported that the MBTA will now sell advance tickets for the Patriots trains.
I thought the train went to Gillette for every major event... football games, concerts, etc.?

#283626  by Robert Paniagua

Yeah, they do sometimes, maybe some of the Revolution games, but not as much service, and to some select concerts too.

As for the Framingham Secondary, that track, as I suggest, may have to be upgraded from FRA Class 1 to Class 3 for a reasonable speed, but as you guys said, that would cost some money which nobodyJoe has.

#283801  by b&m 1566

You know trains are great but I would prefer to spend the $40 to park. You can't go to a football game with out tailgating. Fire up the Charcoal grill and get the steak tips cooking! I'm that guy who runs through the parking lot at full speed to catch a football while slamming into a guard rail going head over heels landing face first in the pavement and still be able to get up with the football in hand... okay maybe I didn't catch the football but how I ever waked away with just a few scratches on my legs is beyond me. (I have never seen so many people laugh at me)
On another note for people that do take the train you always see them running (especially if there on the opposite side of the stadium in the noise bleed section) the trains departing 30 minutes after game time is pushing it for some people. I know for sure I would be that idiot looking for a taxi to get me back to my truck... *shakes head*

#283803  by GP40MC 1116

b&m 1566 wrote:You know trains are great but I would prefer to spend the $40 to park. You can't go to a football game with out tailgating. Fire up the Charcoal grill and get the steak tips cooking! I'm that guy who runs through the parking lot at full speed to catch a football while slamming into a guard rail going head over heels landing face first in the pavement and still be able to get up with the football in hand... okay maybe I didn't catch the football but how I ever waked away with just a few scratches on my legs is beyond me. (I have never seen so many people laugh at me)
On another note for people that do take the train you always see them running (especially if there on the opposite side of the stadium in the noise bleed section) the trains departing 30 minutes after game time is pushing it for some people. I know for sure I would be that idiot looking for a taxi to get me back to my truck... *shakes head*

Well.. Ive never been to a PATS game, but at the BC Eagles ACC Games, at Alumni Stadium, you should see the rush to the Green Line and Shuttle Busses to Newton! YIKES! :wink:

#283830  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Robert Paniagua wrote:Yeah, they do sometimes, maybe some of the Revolution games, but not as much service, and to some select concerts too.
the MBTA does not run trains to Gillette for Rev's games, maybe if they are in playoffs, but not regular season, there are too many games

#283843  by Robert Paniagua

But they do run for concerts, some of them.

I have taken the train myself, abd its fine, although there's no snack car to tailgate while on board :-D

#283844  by octr202

GP40MC 1116 wrote: Well.. Ive never been to a PATS game, but at the BC Eagles ACC Games, at Alumni Stadium, you should see the rush to the Green Line and Shuttle Busses to Newton! YIKES! :wink:
Which for the Green Line I've never quite understood, since about 45-60 minutes after the game there's no one over there at the station yet there's still lots of trolleys running...

#284005  by jamesinclair

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:
Robert Paniagua wrote:Yeah, they do sometimes, maybe some of the Revolution games, but not as much service, and to some select concerts too.
the MBTA does not run trains to Gillette for Rev's games, maybe if they are in playoffs, but not regular season, there are too many games
Which is why Im excited that they want to build a new stadium closer to the city.
Hopefully, itll be done by 2009.

#284351  by CSX Conductor

Well as far as finding money to get the Secondary back to 25MPH, perhaps it will happen a bit quicker now that the MBTA is looking to use it more, especially since CSXT's VP Tony Ingram was in town two weeks ago and signed the B&A over to the Commonwealth of Mass. and the MBTA east of CP-45. :( There are some good sections left on the Framingham Secondary......supposedly CSXT just made the whole thing 10mph to reduce their number of speed restrictions on paper figuring having one 21 mile stretch as a restriction looks better on paper than having 4 or 5 seperate sections. It's a southern thing I think. :( :P

#284400  by sery2831

There are some big changes for CSX lines this side of CP-45 coming soon :-) One thing that will be nice, the return of NORAC!

#284800  by CSX Conductor

Yes John, it will be nice if the MBCR dispatches CP-43 east under NORAC, but will they or will we still do it from Selkirk since west of Cove isn't controllable from CTEC at present?

Robert, whether NORAC or CSXT rules are in effect don't make a difference as to whether or not the track is improved, that always comes down to $$$.