Railroad Forums 

• New fareboxes?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#19799  by DebSabriel2

Hello, all.

Just wanted to see if anyone has heard anything on new fareboxes for the T. They're desperately needed - the old ones keep breaking down on the B Line and the 57 bus.

All the best,

Deb.

#20168  by CSX Conductor

Hopefully the MBTA will get modern and finally get ones that accept dollar bills, especially since more people than ever use bills since the fare is 90 cents for regular bus.

#20229  by efin98

This has been talked about for as long as I have been posting on railroad.net, the T is way behind on their schedule to convert to a pass system similar to other major cities to alleviate the troubles. No progress in two and a half years though, makes me think that the T would rather lose money slowly than increase their revenues by converting.

#20237  by Robert Paniagua

This has been talked about for as long as I have been posting on railroad.net, the T is way behind on their schedule to convert to a pass system similar to other major cities to alleviate the troubles. No progress in two and a half years though, makes me think that the T would rather lose money slowly than increase their revenues by converting.

Actually, Ed, this was talked about looong befoure you and me started posting here on Railroad.net, although I started here on Fri, Nov 16, 2001, while the new AFC Collection fareboxes have been discussed by T officials since the late 1990s but never implemented. Something's wrong here with them................

#20412  by ST214

Our fareboxes here(MART) are older than most of the ones on the T and they take dollar bills. Why???????

#20414  by octr202

I recall someone on the old board mentioning that someone within the T thought (mistakenly) that the fares would never go over $1 within the lifespan of this fare collection system. After all, AFC was being seriously talked about when the fare was 85 cents on the subway and 60 on the bus.

Something about hindsight would probably go here...