Railroad Forums 

• CharlieCard / Ticket discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#290067  by davedeboston

aline1969 wrote:As one knows the 57 was the A green line and this is mostly Brighton's route (boston) I disagree with making the 501/503 a higher fare that would no longer accept the combo pass. This brighton corridor since former A, any bus should be covered with combo passes...my feelings :)
My thoughts exactly. I ride the 504 or 502 buses which is the same thing, however, from Watertown Square and Newton Corner. I fail to see how the new $3+ fare is justifiable when you will have everyone paying only $1.70 on the south side of Newton for the D-Line which is just about as fast for getting into the city. My pass price will go from the $71 combo pass to the $89 inner express bus pass which I not happy about whatsoever.

If there was a subway in my area, I would be paying $20 less for the new OnePass. Not cool in my opinion, and I made this known during the fare increase information meeting I went to. Actually, I ended up quoted in two newspapers after a couple reports interviewed me after the info meeting. Mind you, I was not going ballistic like a lady that was complaining about the T not being "world class" or something to the sort so how could they charge accordingly, but I think I asked some question about the express bus fare increase that they (MBTA reps) did not want to have to answer.

I was told that the express bus was a "premium service and the new pricing will better reflect that." After inquiring what the economy service was (knowing all along what the answer would be), I was kindly informed that the 57 bus serves Kenmore square. Yeah, right... ~50 minutes end to end during rush hour for a five mile trip? C'mon.

#291222  by psct29

I suppose the whole "Charlie" system means my days of riding the T for free are ending as Military used to ride free just by showing ID

#291319  by Ron Newman

When is the Boylston Street entrance to Hynes supposed to open? It was not open this afternoon.

#291321  by danib62

Ron Newman wrote:When is the Boylston Street entrance to Hynes supposed to open? It was not open this afternoon.
Marathon monday and just marathon monday :-D

#291336  by davedeboston

The Chauncy street concourse end of Downtown was closed off today when I exited. There were new faregates installed and a lot of general construction work going on...including painting the ceiling actually.

#291946  by bbfen

savebowdoin wrote:
danib62 wrote:Marathon monday and just marathon monday :-D
Actually I thought it really was supposed to permanently open, anyone know officially? Or is the "re-opening" entrance just the iron maiden leading to Newbury Street?

I know the Boylston entrance was closed originally due to security reasons, and I don't see how the addition of gates would change that aspect. Actually, it might make it even worse in terms of safety.

Mike
They installed machines, and at least three installers and a CSR I spoke to said the entrance would be (re)opening. There has been a bit of cosmetic work done in the station proper and ticket areas during the transition. Perhaps they're doing the same in the eastern stairwells.

The machines are in though, and quite easily visible from Boylston if you have a chance to walk by yourself. Probably even more so from the Dillon's patio (old D4 station).

I can't remember the iron maiden being closed, apart from short periods for station or street work.

I'll try to find out, but the CSRs have been just hateful this week.

#292010  by ckb

Perhaps they are waiting on installation of the promised security cameras before reopening the entrance?

#292682  by mattster

So it looks like those new shelters on the D line are for Charlie Machines. They have doors with locks to keep people out after hours (will someone lock each one?). Here's one at Fenway. I assume it's to protect the machines from vandalism and weather.

#292691  by danib62

Wow I didn't realize they'd be so big! I imagined something small that would maybe house one machine.

#292754  by sabourinj

danib62 wrote:Wow I didn't realize they'd be so big! I imagined something small that would maybe house one machine.
They were originally planned to have at least two vending machines which is standard for any FVM install in the system (one full service and one credit only) and a call box. Not sure if they added other features or not. At least it will also provide some nice shelter - hopefully people won't smoke in them or destroy them.

JS

#292827  by octr202

sabourinj wrote:
danib62 wrote:Wow I didn't realize they'd be so big! I imagined something small that would maybe house one machine.
They were originally planned to have at least two vending machines which is standard for any FVM install in the system (one full service and one credit only) and a call box. Not sure if they added other features or not. At least it will also provide some nice shelter - hopefully people won't smoke in them or destroy them.

JS
Perhaps that one was built larger to accomodate more machines for post-game crowds.

I can't imagine a structure that large fitting at some of the D Line stops...and certainly won't be happening anywhere on the B Line.

As for not being destroyed and/or smoked in....well, it will be at a T station... :(

#292851  by jamesinclair

Maybe itll double as a weather shelter? I wonder if there will be a bench inside.

Also, when will the trolleys start to get the boxes? No point selling tickets if they cant be used...

#293586  by GP40MC 1116

I was on a 57 today comming out of Watertown to Newton Corner. It had one of the "new" Fareboxes, the driver though, didn't seem like he was a fan of it. It was surprising too, the box was put in on a really old RTS

#293614  by Ron Newman

Last night, I saw 12 Charlie gates sitting in the plaza outside Porter Square station.

#294221  by octr202

Harvard got its "Green Zone" just inside the main turnstiles sometime yesterday. Still no visible work outside of the fencing yet.

There are a couple gates on pallets by the left side token booth, but they've beent ehre for a couple weeks now.