Railroad Forums 

• CharlieCard / Ticket discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1377656  by deathtopumpkins

Diverging Route wrote: The incentive to tap-out is that if you don't, you're charged the max zone fare (i.e. Zone 10) rather than the zone you boarded. This system works very well in Europe.
Apparently the incentive to tap out will actually be some sort of perk, e.g. if you tap out 100% of the time in a month, next month's pass is discounted 10%.
 #1377702  by ohalloranchris

All very interesting info, the collective knowledge on this board is always impressive!

It sounds as if there are precedents for this in other parts of the world, but this would be the first Commuter Rail application in the US among the major CR operators, correct?
 #1377703  by nomis

Septa's NPT Program known as KEY would be the first coming in the US, IIRC.

here's a link to their thread
 #1377725  by leviramsey

deathtopumpkins wrote:
BandA wrote:]Mass tap-out in the morning at South Station, North Station, Back Bay and perhaps Yawkey and Boston Landing are going to be horrendous.
I don't think it'll be that bad. It all depends on how they implement the readers at major stations. If they do end up gating the platforms, it might slow things down a little bit but I don't think it will be too bad, considering the limited doors and platform widths already regulate the rate of people getting off trains. The main time I foresee it being a problem is when you have an inbound unloading and an outbound loading at the same time on adjacent tracks. It's already hard enough to swim upstream down the platform.
For most riders it may not even be necessary to tap out downtown. Assuming that a failure to tap out will result in the highest fare chargeable based on your tap-in, the only station outside of 1A where the fare to the outer terminal is the maximum fare as opposed to the fare to 1A is Hyde Park, so only Hyde Park inbound and intra-1A riders would definitely need to tap out.
 #1377730  by dm1120

jamesinclair wrote:
As for the globe article. Entirely phasing out cash is a very bad idea. Boston is a huge tourist destination. Not everyone can be expected to have the "right" technology.
“We have to be able to make sure that people are going to be able to fill [cards] with cash, we just don’t want them to do it on the bus,” Tibbits-Nutt said while speaking with reporters after the meeting.
Spoken as someone who has never ridden the bus. There are thousands of bus stops. You cant tell customers theyre out of luck because you dont want to accept dollar bills on board
NYC has never accepted bills of any denomination on board buses. I think the MBTA won't have a problem phasing out cash as long as there are enough stores that will reload Charlie cards.
 #1377800  by Disney Guy

I am already doubting the reliability of a tap out system. Today there are occasional complaints about the fare gate putting up an error message and the customer retrying it or using a different fare gate finding out he was charged twice. So a similar problem might be still getting charged a 10 zone fare for a 2 zone ride. Or somehow getting a new tap in immediately after an actually successful tap out.

As opposed to quietly letting a few cash customer ride for free, why not go back to the dollar bill slot. The T has had an exact change policy almost as far back as I can remember (started when the T was born out of the old MTA?) so riders are forewarned that they may have to put more than the correct fare (in the slot) if they don't have the correct fare. The complexity of today's fareboxes is not the collecting of the money but rather the processing of the money.
 #1377824  by jamesinclair

dm1120 wrote:NYC has never accepted bills of any denomination on board buses. I think the MBTA won't have a problem phasing out cash as long as there are enough stores that will reload Charlie cards.
They accept cash via coins. Probably a byproduct of installing the system when the fare was probably 50 cents.

And NYC isnt exactly somewhere you want to be looking at for inspiration. Once SEPTA activates key this year, they will be the only large system in the country not using a tap-based card payment system.

....ok, them and NJTransit, but NJ Transit is 99% buses, and they do take dollar (and $5) bills on board. And NJ Transit doesnt use low floor buses so you know theyve got serious management issues,
 #1390068  by diburning

MBTA3247 wrote:The default options for adding value to CharlieCards at FVMs have been changed to multiples of a one-ride fare. And they finally allow 1- and 7-day passes on CharlieCards.
This is also the case on the Retail Sales Terminals for sales agents. The default options are now $2.10, $4.20, and $21.00. Adds a bit of screen prodding to add $20 which seems to be a popular amount.
 #1403330  by Disney Guy

I found a (discarded?) Charlie Card and it registers as "inactive" on the fare machine.

Did the card automatically become that way (through lack of use?) and can be rejuvenated?

Or was the card manually made that way at some intermediate date and is now invalid?
Last edited by Disney Guy on Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.