Railroad Forums 

• BSRA Green Line Fantrip

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#15074  by jack615

Not trying to upstage the RR.net fest but this sounds like something cool.

Boston Trolley Meet 2004 MBTA Green Line Fan Trip
Farewell to the West End “El”
Sunday, May 9, 2004

In conjunction with the 2004 Boston Trolley Meet sponsored by the Boston Chapter NRHS, the Boston Street Railway Association will operate a fantrip on the Green Line using a Boeing LRV (3400-3543) on Sunday, May 9, 2004. This will be a full-day trip with a lunch stop at Government Center, and it will feature enhanced coverage of the West End Elevated structure, which connects the Lechmere Viaduct to the Tremont Street Subway. The West End “El” will be closed permanently only a month later, in June, and it will be replaced with a new tunnel and station near the Fleet Center. This will be an excellent opportunity to get some memorable photos of an historic structure one last time with your friends in a relaxed setting.

The car will leave at 9:00 A.M. at Riverside. We will operate over all Green Line branches, and we are planning some excellent photo opportunities for both still cameras and video equipment. This will also be a good chance to photograph and ride the new Type 8 cars, which are currently running on two lines, and we will follow and pick you up at prearranged locations so that you can do this. The Boeing cars are slated for replacement by the Type 8s, and this may well be the final year that the Boeing cars are in regular operation.

Today the MBTA Green Line is a thoroughly modern system, yet its roots are planted deeply in American transit history. If you have not ridden a Boston streetcar fan trip before, this will be a good chance to acquaint you with the system, and for “old timers”, it will be a great opportunity to share your past experiences.

For those of you returning to other cities, you can leave the trip at a convenient time and downtown stop for connections to South Station or Logan Airport. South Station is just two stops on the Red Line from Park Street. Airport connections can be made via the Blue Line from the Green Line at Government Center.

Please join us for a great outing. We haven’t had an excursion like this for a number of years. See you there!!!

For order form and contact info http://members.aol.com/bsra5706/flyer.html
 #15170  by tristanh1

I will try and make the fan trip.

It's a shame the MBTA won't let you use the old picture window pcc and/or a non-rehabed LRV.

But it should be a good day and I will be sad to see the el go

#15185  by jrc520

sadly, I cannot make it, since it is mothers day. Is there a schedule, so I can try to catch up with you guys and follow behind? I don't know if I will be free later in the day or not.

#15214  by AEM7AC920

Sounds great I will try to make it