Railroad Forums 

• large grey boxes?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#14827  by Gregger2

Has anyone else noticed the plethora of large grey mettle boxes that seem to be springing up in the system? What are they for? Possibly communications? I have seen them at Prudential, Copley, and Boylston so far..

ckb

#14860  by ckb

Someone noticed this on the old board at the Kendall station on the Red Line, as well as new conduit at the Porter Sq. station.

We were guessing, but we thought that perhaps this had something to do with infrastructure for an Automated Fare Collection System.

Anyone else?

#14864  by Diverging Route

I was the one who originally posed the question on the old board.

I have subsequently confirmed with a T employee that the boxes are indeed for the new automated fare collection system.

#15336  by Gregger2

that's what I thought. I am surprised they are so big though. Is there any info out on how the new fare collection will work? will they still accept tokens?

#15424  by Robert Paniagua

Actually not, they will no longer take tokens. It will be just like NYCT mostly, tokens here will become collectour's items, ans the remainder will be sold for scrap.

Also, this will be not only like NYCT, but similar to WMATA as well as the BART, they also use AFC services too. Its better also.

#15559  by ST214

Is it going to be like METRO in DC??? I sure hope not, as it will be very expensive then.
 #15616  by Ron Newman

It took NYCT ten years from the introduction of the first MetroCard to the acceptance of the last token. I hope the transition here goes a bit more quickly.

#15682  by vanshnookenraggen

With a new Automated Fare Collection, will this mean that some closed off entrances/exits will be opened and Symphony and Prudential will FINALLY get fare collection? Also, how will this work for above ground stations? Will they finally open all the doors or will boarding just go smother when people don't have to stop and stuff bills in the side?

#15711  by Robert Paniagua

Is it going to be like METRO in DC??? I sure hope not, as it will be very expensive then.

Not farewise, but its going to be like WMATA and BART physically-wise. the fare (should) remain the same, hoepfully.

#15784  by Ron Newman

WMATA and BART require swiping a card on exit. That's not going to work on the T, with its many ground-level streetcar stops.

#15792  by apodino

Its probably going to be more like CTA or NY Subway, where you only have one flat fare and you swipe on entry. Also will allow you to replenish amount on card, so you don't need to pull out cash, and would be compatable with the buses as well.

#15795  by vanshnookenraggen

Ron Newman wrote:WMATA and BART require swiping a card on exit.

That will make exit at Quincy Adams and Braintree better for people who don't know that it requires and exit fare (even though it is posted on every Red Line train).