Railroad Forums 

• Funny yellow train at GL Park Street

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#14422  by parovozis

There was a funny little yellow train at the stub track of GL Park Street on Tuesday. The train consisted of three very short car (I hope I counted them right; but then how would three cars fit in that track???) There was some funny word written on them... LORAM, if, again, I am not mistaken. What was it?

#14431  by JayZ

I've seen it too. It was some kind of work train. It seemed like the middle car was a generator. I don't know what it was doing there.

Anyone?

#14446  by jrc520

It's the rail grinder. I think it's there in preperation for some D line work.

#14476  by octr202

Its clearly making the rounds. It was stuffed in the yard at BC last weekend.

A couple years ago I managed to catch one of them being delivered to the Green Line at Riverside. Trucked in on three or four flatbeds.

#14492  by Xplorer2000

Yep, thats the rail grinder. LPC-5, I believe ,is its designation. Its been parked on the "mausoleum" track at Boylston ofF and on this week. For the uninitiated, it uses a series of computer controlled(these days),motor driven carbide grinding wheels to alter the profile of the rails, thus improving adhesion and the life of the rail.The accompanying light show is impresssive at night( or in a dark subway tunnel, for that matter...rail grinders produce a virtual torrent of sparks as they work). Its also apparently nessecary to re-shape the profile to keep the Breda Type 8s on the rails, but I'm not quite sure about how that helps them.

#14786  by typesix

Several weekends ago, they were rail grinding between Packards Corner and Harvard Ave during the daytime.