• Hoping to get a job on MBTA trains

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by ggardei

I sent my resume to MBCR who is hiring 15 assitant conductors for the MBTA commuter trains (deadline for sending in applications was midnight, April 14th). Wish me luck everyone! :)

(When they hire me, i'll now have a reason to whistle "I've been working on the railroad" in the shower) :D

by jrc520

Good Luck.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

good luck ggardei

by ggardei

Everyone, MBCR called. I'm taking the Test on Thursday!

by AEM7AC920

Excellent Good Luck with the Test!

by CSX Conductor

still wondering if maybe I should have made the move over to the T !?!!?!?

by claytor

150 applicants for 15 jobs, without a "push" from someone your chances ate tough.
  by ggardei

Did the test today which was all math. Some of the problems were like doing excel (or lotus 123 for you non-microsoft people) spreadsheets by hand. One problem I had a slight error I couldn't track down in the time I had, so I took a guess (I narrowed the answer down to two possible choices). I am glad I spent the time to write a flash card program for my Palm Pilot to practice the math (I was a bit rusty with the math at first.. got use to having the cash register and computer do everything for me)

BTW, for those who are intrested. Here is my trip report.

10:38 am Downeaster from Haverhill to Boston North - Nice train ride. Talked to the conductor and food service guy in the cafe car for about an half an hour about MBTA (MBCR) (they were both x MBTA from when amtrak was running them). Got into Boston on Time, took the Orange Line to Sullivan Square, then 86 to Washington St & Franklin Street. Ate at the little sandwich shop in the Cobble Hill plaza. I arrived for the test an hour early.

After the test (done around 3:30), I took bus 91 back to Sullivan Square and took the orange line to downtown crossing and red line to South Station. Picked up my Amtrak tickets for the return trip on my summer trip to Albany. Ate a Phili Cheese Steak from the Phili Cheese Steak stand. Then I went back to North Station (red line, orange line) and took the 5:15 MBTA train back to Haverhill. I was too tired to do much but to stare out the window and pray that they MBCR call me for an interview.
Last edited by ggardei on Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

good luck, hope you get the job :D
  by ggardei

Thanks.

MBCR called me to schedule an interview. :-) Going Thursday. Excited.

Got to do some shopping... dress shoes, dress pants, dress shirt, tie, etc. Wheres my VISA.... :-)

by CSX Conductor

Claytor, I understand that the ratio of applicants per job would be high, but I still considered applyig since I have experience with a Class 1 railroad.

The best thing I like about freight is that when you're stuck at a red signal, the box cars don't complain !! LOL :wink:

by ggardei

MBCR is looking for people with people/customer service skills for the assistant conductor position. Railroading experiance isn't required for the postion because the will have intense training. During the testing session, they showed us a powerpoint showing what we were getting ourselves into, and how much we will get paid during the training and then when we are actualy working on the trains.

CSX Conductor, did you actually apply?

by CSX Conductor

no I didn't apply.........I am sticking to my original plan, get my engineer's license though CSX, then consider the change to Amtrak or MBCR.

and as far as customer service experience or skills......I've had my share in past jobs.

by CRail

ggardi, you should post it when there are more openings. I'm only 16 but I still would love to work for MBCR.

by ggardei

Assuming I do not have any jobs lined up by then, I will re-apply

I check the MBCR website every week for postings.