Railroad Forums 

• Consolidation of B Line Stations on Commonwealth Ave

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1537571  by nomis

MBTA awards Green Line B Branch station consolidation contract
https://www.progressiverailroading.com/ ... act--60048
The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) Fiscal and Management Control Board yesterday awarded a $17.8 million contract to MAS Building and Bridge Inc. to consolidate four existing Green Line B Branch stations into two new stations beginning this fall.

Under the contract, St. Paul Street and Boston University West stations will be demolished and rebuilt into one station; the Babcock Street and Pleasant Street stations will be demolished and rebuilt into another.

The new stations will include 225-foot-long, low-level platforms; [...] accommodation of three-car trains and compatibility with future low-floor vehicles, MBTA officials said in a press release.
 #1537609  by jwhite07

Many of the existing surface platforms are not long enough to accommodate a two car train of 112-foot long Type 10s, which will be the next generation Green Line car order. Rebuild now with an eye to the future?

Frankly, I'm surprised it's only $18mil to demolish four station platforms and build two new ones. Is that just the feasibility consultant contract? :-D
 #1537612  by MBTA3247

Other than some light maintenance, none of these stations have been updated in decades. They all needed to be rebuilt regardless with higher platforms to work with the ramps on the Type 8s and 9s. Consolidating the stations is also long overdue to improve travel times.
 #1537616  by bostontrainguy

BandA wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:07 am
Traingeek3629 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:34 pm It costs 18M to paint lines on the ground?
Share your outrage Traingeek. Who am I kidding, not outrage but sad resignation. And how are existing stations incompatible with future low-floor vehicles?
Good question. Here's what I know. The present low-entrance trains (Type 8) have an 8" platform height. The next generation cars (Type 10) are going to have a 14" platform height.

I have always wondered why the train floors and the platforms are not at the same level. I have always wondered why they need to use the troublesome slide-out ramps. Why not just make everything level and you can just roll off and on the cars?

I think that the present situation is necessary because of the way the MBTA trolley doors open. The Type 8s have an outward folding door that needs to clear the platform so the door and floor are a bit high. The new Type 9s have a plug type door that also needs to come out and clear the platform, so they too need a slide-out ramp.

Perhaps the next generation of cars finally have the car floors and platforms at the same level? Maybe the new cars will have pocket doors similar to the regular subway cars or fold-in doors? Something is going to be different.

BTW - Yes this means all platforms will need to be raised again!
 #1537628  by typesix

bostontrainguy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:56 am
Good question. Here's what I know. The present low-entrance trains (Type 8) have an 8" platform height. The next generation cars (Type 10) are going to have a 14" platform height.

I have always wondered why the train floors and the platforms are not at the same level. I have always wondered why they need to use the troublesome slide-out ramps. Why not just make everything level and you can just roll off and on the cars?
What about Heath St. line?
 #1537635  by bostontrainguy

Stations on the median and at Heath Street station have raised platforms. They do not board ADA devices on the street running section. In fact they don't even open the rear doors on the street.

I have seen trolleys, I believe in Toronto, that have similar slide out ramps to the MBTA that are twice as long and can reach the street level, but the MBTA ramps cannot reach that low.
Last edited by CRail on Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary nesting quotes removed. Do not use the "quote" button as a reply button.
 #1537658  by BandA

Those awnings have cables holding them up. That's going to be a safety / maintenance problem.

Decorative pavers are more difficult for wheelchairs and people with leg problems or heels, and are a higher cost & more maintenance. A well made cement platform can last 100 years in good condition if it is undisturbed. So use cement not stupid fancy blocks.
 #1537663  by MBTA3247

bostontrainguy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:56 amPerhaps the next generation of cars finally have the car floors and platforms at the same level? Maybe the new cars will have pocket doors similar to the regular subway cars or fold-in doors? Something is going to be different.
What many modern trams have is a lip at the base of the doorway that extends a few centimeters beyond the carbody. The door itself is a plug door that opens along the outside of the car, but doesn't go further out than the lip. The end result is that the platform and the floor of the car are at the same height, with only a small gap between the lip and the platform edge, allowing for easy roll on/roll off of wheelchairs, strollers, etc., and there's no conflict between the door and the platform. This photo is a good illustration of what I mean.
 #1563058  by nomis

New, consolidated stations will be named Babcock Street (between current Babcock Street and Pleasant Street) and Amory Street (between current St. Paul Street and BU West).

Construction begins on February 15, 2021, on two new, accessible B Branch stations.

https://www.mbta.com/news/2021-02-11/m ... solidation
 #1563161  by TurningOfTheWheel

bostontrainguy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:36 am "BU West" lost its status when the Boston University campus leapfrogged west all the way to Packard's Corner years go.
It's nowhere near what anyone considers "West Campus," so the name is no loss.

The automatic stop announcement infrastructure is already in place at both stations. There was a small crew doing survey work at Amory St today.