Double Tracking Projects

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Commuterrail1050

Double Tracking Projects

Post by Commuterrail1050 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:43 am

One example of double tracking that is currently happening is on the Franklin line between Walpole and Norfolk. Anyone have an idea if they are going to try and make the entirety of the franklin line from past readville to Forge Park? Seems unlikely but you never know, anything can happen with the T.

Tom coughlin

Re: Double Tracking Projects

Post by Tom coughlin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:44 pm

Double tracking the Franklin Branch has been talked about. However, all stations west of Norwood Central would need to be reconfigured.
Tom Coughlin
Stow, MA (and native of Walpole)

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:06 pm

With the DT South (RR "West") of Walpole, there's going to be less single track than double for most of the line.
So much so it seems likely they won't need to DT Walpole to Norwood.
I think they COULD DT Walpole itself, but there's the tunnel under Rt 1A just North of the station that would be a serious problem. I don't believe that was ever DT.
Next time I deliver to Windsor Gardens I'll look to see if I can spot where the single track starts South of Norwood.
"It belongs in a MUSEUM!"
-Indiana Jones

Tom coughlin

Post by Tom coughlin » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:20 am

I forgot about the tunnel in Walpole under RT. 1A. The tunnel was double track at one time but later changed to a gauntlet track as rolling stock got larger. The gauntlet was removed when the line was single tracked (late 1940’s?). A gauntlet could be installed again with signals protecting the gauntlet like in earlier times.

Old timers used to talk about the effort needed to operate the “Armstrong” home signal east of the tunnel that protected the gauntlet. The thought of the run of mechanical linkage from the interlocking tower to this signal always amazed me. The interlocking tower was located just west of the station.

Tom Coughlin
Stow, MA

Return to “Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)”