Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning in and around Quincy

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1520187  by njtmnrrbuff

Hello All, I’m going to be in Boston from 9/26 to 10/1/19. I’m going to be staying in Quincy at the Howard Johnson’s. Where are the best spots in Quincy to photograph both the Red Line and commuter rail? I am interested in not only going to the stations but photographing from the overpasses and near the Neponset River. I have other places that I’ll be going to. Thanks so much!
 #1520193  by ssresident

Try the footbridge that runs between Newport Ave. and Billings Rd. It has a good view of both the RL and the commuter rail switch just south of the bridge. You can probably also take some shots in the Chipotle parking lot next to the switch.
 #1520227  by njtmnrrbuff

I might try to go to that footbridge near Billings Ave one afternoon. Looking at my aerial maps, it looks like it’s better to photograph there in the afternoon as in the morning, there are several very tall trees on the east side of the tracks. When I’m in Quincy, I’ll also want to shoot from Quincy Shore Drive one morning. One afternoon, maybe photograph at Walter J Hannon Pkwy.

I’m definitely going to be doing the Mattapan-Ashmont Line. I think as of the next five year at least, we will be good with having our PCC cars run there.