Railroad Forums 

• New Coaches to replace all existing single active coaches

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1504244  by MBTA3247

Single-level cars require longer, heavier trains to move the same amount of passengers as bi-levels, more money spent on maintenance and fuel, and you more quickly max out the system's capacity (both in terms of how long a train can get and how many trains you can run per hour). When it comes to moving as many people as possible, bi-levels are the best bang for the buck.
 #1504262  by trains18

BostonUrbEx wrote:I 100% there is a need for more seats. But all I'm saying is there's more ways to add seats than to go with bi-levels, and those other options also make for better service in my opinion.
Buying more single level cars won't increase the capacity by much. Do you even know how old the mbb's are. At least 25-30 years which is a long time. The bombardiers I believe are 10 years younger or something like that. Someone with better accurate info please share it since I don't know the facts like textbook. I only know what I hear. Getting more bi-levels from Kawasaki or a better builder is the better and cost effective way to go. It may sound like a lot now, but on the long run it will pay off.
 #1504282  by RenegadeMonster

Actually, the Bombardiers are around the same age as the MBB's, reference http://www.transithistory.org/roster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 3XX Bombardiers were built in 1987.
The MBB's were built in 1987-1988.
The 16XX & 6XX Bombardiers were built in 1989-1990.

I'm assuming all new Bi-Level coaches would have powered doors. Would we expect to start seeing them using them on stations like Salem once we have set's fully capable?
 #1505140  by trains18

Nah they are planning on retiring them after they aquire more new cars and once they have been accepted into service and work like they should. They are trying to increase more capacity to trains plus the mbb's and bombardiers don't ride that good nor operate smoothly either. Plus they are heavier and move slower than the bi-levels and don't have as much capacity. They are also beyond their useful life too.
Last edited by CRail on Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
 #1505211  by CRail

Single level cars are heavier than double deckers? They move slower? You really need to start sticking to topics you’re familiar with.
 #1505385  by nomis

trains18 wrote:...and are heavier with a max rated speed of 80 while the rebuilt and new bi-levels are rated for 90.
It’s the MBTA, everything has a rubber-stamped 80 MAS for the Commuter Rail, even if it was designed for 90 or 100 or 125 MPH.
 #1505477  by Backshophoss

The BBD ML II design is fairly bulletproof and has Hi and Low platform access doors,as long as MBTA doesn't add a lot of custom options,
should be a retaliative quick build.
Unless you want to issue a set of Bonds to pay for the cars,CRRC is out if Federal $$$$ is used.
 #1505628  by BandA

Single level cars are much faster boarding & getting off, and don't have the ADA problems. High level platforms were designed for and work better with single-level coaches - if they knew they were going to bi-levels it would have been a lot easier to stay with low platforms.

Bi-levels are lower weight per-passenger. Do the rules require a certain number of conductors per coach or per passenger?
 #1505653  by Komarovsky

BandA wrote:Single level cars are much faster boarding & getting off, and don't have the ADA problems. High level platforms were designed for and work better with single-level coaches - if they knew they were going to bi-levels it would have been a lot easier to stay with low platforms.

Bi-levels are lower weight per-passenger. Do the rules require a certain number of conductors per coach or per passenger?
NJT has no issues with their bi-levels and high platforms. Of course NJT also has auto traps and full length auto doors, something that MBTA has never adopted for some reason, despite the fact that like NJT it has a mix of high and low level platforms.