Railroad Forums 

• Reasonable southside hotel along rail or subway/trolley

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1500552  by train2

Looking at the feasibility of riding the train, either Amtk or MBTA, from the southside of the Boston Burbs into ride the Mattapan Trolley. If I want to make it an overnight trip can anyone make a suggestion of a reasonable hotel anywhere on the southside of Boston? I am not looking for a Hilton type, rather a solid railfan accommodation -- just a clean bed/shower.

I would be coming up from south on the NEC so a recommendation can stretch from Providence all the way to Ashmont/Mattapan or anywhere else reachable by the T lines on that side of the city. Your suggestion can even be south of Providence if that area is within in your area of expertise as I will be returning south the next day.
 #1501040  by troffey

There is a Best Western in North Quincy (https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/book/ ... 22041.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) that is about a 15 minute walk from the Red Line North Quincy Station. The Marriott Boston/Quincy is a 15-20 minute walk from the Red Line Quincy Adams Station, but I think they might also run a shuttle from the station to the hotel. Both these choices would require taking the Red Line back into Boston and changing trains to head down to Ashmont, or there is MBTA bus service from both North Quincy and Quincy Center to Ashmont.

There is also a Courtyard by Marriott right next to University Ave/Rte 128 station, which is an Amtrak and MBTA Commuter Rail stop in Westwood. Those are the only choices I'm familiar with, but there might be other options that others would have more information on.

You could also look into Airbnb options, as I know there are options in Ashmont/Dorchester near the trolley.
 #1501072  by Head-end View

If you're just looking for a one-night room, there used to be a low-priced Motel 6 on Union St. in Braintree right off Route 3 and across the street from the Red Line Station. However I think it closed down a while back and I don't know if it might have re-opened as some other motel chain. But might be worth checking 'cause it's a good location.
 #1501088  by Rbts Stn

Not in the area you mentioned, but I have friends who like A Village B and B in Newton Highlands, about a 5 minute walk from the Green Line. Priced better than most hotels and clean and comfortable.
 #1501170  by SimplySam

Yes Hotel Indigo. Adjacent to Riverside. Great View of Yard from rear rooms BTW. Parked/Stayed there and took Green Line to Fenway for Red Sox game several times. Decent & clean hotel.

http://www.hotelindigo.com/Newton/HotelIndigo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by CRail on Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
 #1501624  by troffey

Head-end View wrote:If you're just looking for a one-night room, there used to be a low-priced Motel 6 on Union St. in Braintree right off Route 3 and across the street from the Red Line Station. However I think it closed down a while back and I don't know if it might have re-opened as some other motel chain. But might be worth checking 'cause it's a good location.
The hotel in Braintree has not re-opened. I believe the town is actively opposing any reuse in the same vein.
 #1501625  by troffey

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Many of the neighborhoods in the Ashmont/Dorchester area aren't the safest so be careful.
I've lived in Ashmont for the last four years and vehemently disagree with this. If you or the original poster have any questions about the neighborhood, I'd be happy to answer them.
 #1501666  by Head-end View

Troffey, that's a real shame if the Braintree gov't does not want a hotel of any kind at that location. :( Some years back I stayed there a few times when the Bickford's restaurant was next door. It was really convenient between the restaurant, motel, highway and the Red Line Station. It would be a great spot for a new mid-size hotel. Do you know what plan if any, they have in mind for redevelopment of that property?