Railroad Forums 

• MBTA Ridership 2017/18

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1492339  by Adams_Umass_Boston

In a recent article released today. Ridership on the MBTA was down across most parts except the Blue Line.
https://www.bankerandtradesman.com/ride ... blue-line/

"Overall, subway ridership was down 1.6 percent in September over last year, and bus ridership was off 1.8 percent."

"While subway and bus ridership was down, ridership on ferries over the last 12 months was up 2.9 percent. And the Blue Line saw the biggest growth in ridership on the core subway system, with peak ridership up 18.1 percent from January 2014, while the Red Line saw a 0.6 percent decline and the Orange Line experienced a 2.4 percent drop over the nearly five year span."

"Bus ridership since 2014 was also down 7.9 percent, but MBTA officials stressed that ridership trends were in line nationally with other peer transit systems."
 #1492345  by dieciduej

I wonder if this the Uber & Lyft trend? As a Rt 100 bus and Orange Line user, I can see some of the reasons. If I am not on either the 1st (5 AM) or 2nd (5:30 AM) buses they get progressively behind the 8-ball on time, Wellington Circle being the killer. Those bus trips usually translate into the 1st or 3rd southbound Orange Line train. Both of which get me in by my swing on time 7 AM. Usually there is some form of mechanical/signal/switch delay on the Orange Line to add to the fun. Same on the homebound but worse for delays and crowds.

So for the pain and aggravation, why not book a Uber or Lyft. Privacy, comfort, why not. There are several workers I know that have moved in that direction. (How they can afford it I don't know!) But it may explain some of the down turn.
 #1492352  by Adams_Umass_Boston

I wondered how much the reconstruction of shuttle routes in effect due to Wollaston Station closure contributed to the Red Line decline. Those free Yankee shuttles could be part, but also people just not riding to avoid it all together.

When the Blue Line was going through some of their modernization, I stopped going into town for fun as much as I would normally. It was too much of a hassle with all the shuttle busses.

While on the topic of the Blue Line, East Boston, Revere and points north have built a staggering amount of condos. I have sat in on some of the community reviews as an advisory. They are often pitched as "residents won't need cars being so close to the Blue Line." Insert eyeroll. I could see the increase from all of those new riders though.
 #1492592  by rethcir

I would also suggest that perhaps bus is taking some share from the rapid transit. With the rise of T Tracker apps, taking the bus is much more pleasant.