Railroad Forums 

• Pawtuckett/Central Fall train station status.

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1479435  by jonnhrr

There were plans to build the station and RI applied for a received a TIGER grant.

Latest news I saw was that the project went over budget and is being scaled back

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... wn-delayed
Rhode Island is slimming down the planned Pawtucket-Central Falls commuter rail station as the estimated cost of the project swelled beyond its $40-million budget.

The changes will likely set the start of work back six months as the R.I. Department of Transportation rebids the project using a new design no longer including two new sets of track. Work is now slated to begin at the end of the year instead of this summer.

Stephen Devine, chief of the DOT’s transit office, said the change was spurred by federal railroad officials concluding that building a new set of tracks for the Pawtucket station off the busy Northeast Corridor main line was not necessary.

“They own the Northeast Corridor and wanted to try to scale down the amount or track-side infrastructure that was going to drive up the cost of the project,” Devine said. “This gives us a great opportunity to make it a much simpler station with less infrastructure.”

Devine said the estimated cost of the original design was nearing the $50-million mark, but getting rid of the siding tracks and associated switches, signals and other systems should keep it within the $40-million budget.
 #1479491  by eubnesby

I can't believe they're going to restrict the NEC to 2 tracks in that area for the foreseeable future, with local trains stopping on the main line...what a disaster. I expect they won't even future proof it, necessitating a complete rebuild in future...
 #1479494  by nomis

You mean like they do at South Attleboro, Mansfield, Sharon, Canton Jct and Rte 128 with those local trains in two track territory.
 #1479499  by Trinnau

The proximity to Providence and South Attleboro along with lower track speeds means it actually makes sense to not waste the money here. The original plan was really just to have short station tracks - nothing promoting an overtake scenario like is done at Attleboro. Lots of pricey infrastructure for zero benefit.

I also don't think it would completely preclude future 3 or 4 track operation in this area, as the same real-estate is required no matter which side of the platforms the track goes on. There is already a 3rd track in this area but it is freight only and is not immediately adjacent to the other two tracks. My guess is one of the platforms will go in the gap between, already setting up a scenario for 3-track operation with that platform accessing two tracks.
 #1479552  by eubnesby

nomis wrote:You mean like they do at South Attleboro, Mansfield, Sharon, Canton Jct and Rte 128 with those local trains in two track territory.
You must be aware that it has been planned to build passing tracks at all those stations. One step forward, two steps back. Will simply mean more money spent later.
 #1479570  by Rockingham Racer

eubnesby wrote:
nomis wrote:You mean like they do at South Attleboro, Mansfield, Sharon, Canton Jct and Rte 128 with those local trains in two track territory.
You must be aware that it has been planned to build passing tracks at all those stations. One step forward, two steps back. Will simply mean more money spent later.
No, I wasn't. Could you point me to the document that outlines those plans, if possible? TIA!

There used to be a plan posted [couldn't find it just now] that had some triple tracking, but don't have a recollection about by-pass tracks [Kingston, excepted].
 #1489612  by Arlington

Construction was supposed to start in "Fall 2018" but they said in March/May that they needed to reduce the station to 1 platform to save money.
1) Any additional details on how the VE is going?
2) Presumably they're leaving room for the 2-platform, 2-track station (1 freight bypass on North side) that they envisioned straddling the existing 2-track Amtrak-owned NEC at this point. (a total of 5 tracks: Freight-Platform-Commuter-Amtrak-Amtrak-Commuter-Platform-(Ramps)
http://www.growsmartri.org/wp-content/u ... die-PF.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1491183  by Arlington

BandA wrote:So the historic station will most likely be torn down?
Seems like it'll eventually have to be demolished, but that it is hard to say which will get resolved first, the physical mess or the legal mess.

Last I heard (2014) they couldn't even locate the entity that had supposedly bought the old station at a tax sale. It does not seem to have an owner who cares, and it hasn't been landmarked (per Wikipedia) because nobody could vouch for its structural integrity. Nobody wanted to spend the $ to ADA it, an the geometry beneath the station has been miserable since electrification.
 #1614148  by nomis

The Pawtucket/Central Falls station entered service this morning at MP 189.1
 #1614446  by jbvb

Apropos of infrastructure required for multiple classes of service on a route, in 1984 the Japanese Keisei line operated 4 classes of service on 2 tracks Ueno (Tokyo) - Narita: no stops, 1 stop, a dozen stops, all stops. Riding the "dozen stops" train, we overtook 2 or 3 locals with cross-platform transfer in 4-track, 2 island platform stations. The midpoint had 7 (IIRC, could have been 8) tracks and 4 platforms. The no-stops train zipped through while the other three classes were doing cross platform transfer through the semi-express cars (doors open to platforms on both sides).

Yes, the investment and culture change to get there from where the MBTA is now would be considerable, but it is definitely possible.