Railroad Forums 

• Is track work/maintenance done on the NEC this time of year?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1472584  by sonicdoommario

I've always been curious of this. I live near the tracks in Attleboro just past HEBRONVILLE. I've noticed this the last couple years but every time this part of the year (usually during the month of May), I hear these trucks/machines operating on the tracks during the midnight/overnight hours. Since it's dark I can't make out what they look like, but I do see flashing lights on them. This time around I noticed a few workers walking up and examining the tracks with flashlights.

Sorry I couldn't be more descriptive, but does anyone know what's going on here? Is this when the tracks are checked for defects or anything? Seems like the only reason I could come up with.

Thanks!
 #1488309  by JWilson

What you saw was likely a division track gang out of Providence working on whatever it was that they were assigned to that night. Track inspectors and switch inspectors generally work during daylight hours. I have worked with the Interlocking Rehab Gang S129 out of both Providence and Boston and I can tell you that repair and maintenance happens year round in every kind of weather.