Railroad Forums 

• Poll: Favorite MBTA passenger locomotive of all time?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1456780  by Tom coughlin

The ex New Haven GP9’s. I loved to hear them start a train from a station stop. The Hancock air whistle sounded great.

A great memory was a trip from Sharon to South Station one summer afternoon in 1978. I was riding in the car behind the engine. The former Pennsy P70 coach had no AC that day so the conductor left the front vestibule door open. Listening to the Geep working at speed is something I’ll never forget. I timed a few mileposts and our speed was 80 MPH. This was the maximum authorized speed for these engines as noted in Amtrak’s employee timetable.

Tom Coughlin
Stow, MA
Last edited by Tom coughlin on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1456895  by TomNelligan

The Delaware & Hudson PAs were the first thing that came to my mind too, although I wasn't sure if they qualified since they were here on a one year lease rather than being MBTA-owned. Absolute classic locomotives, though, and they really brightened things up during their Boston residency.
PA 18 South station.jpg
PA 18 South station.jpg (277.03 KiB) Viewed 5326 times
 #1461345  by BandA

Apparently :wink: I remember back in 1988 the very old (B&M) locomotives on the north side would stall pulling out of the stations & have to be restarted.
Last edited by CRail on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary nesting quotes removed.
 #1461356  by jwhite07

BandA wrote:When it comes to a diesel locomotive, my favorite is whatever one doesn't break down, has the lowest emissions and best fuel economy.
Here's one. Zero emissions and infinite fuel economy. Nothing to break down, either! :wink:

#1461462  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

I have taken quite a liking to the F10 - they were the face of MBTA Commuter Rail in the 1980s.
There have been other good locomotives - such as the former NH GP9s.
I would have liked to have seen the ALCO PA's when they were in service...

JW's posted picture of Amtrak 410 above answered a question about the fate of one of what was
six GMD built F40s that were originally GO Transit 510-515. They were sold to Amtrak and were
renumbered 410-415 - overhauled by Conrail. One of the spotting features of the GMD F40s were
the small anti climbers on the front end. VIA's F40s also have this feature. Any idea when and
where this picture was taken?

MACTRAXX
 #1461496  by jwhite07

MACTRAXX wrote:JW's posted picture of Amtrak 410 above answered a question about the fate of one of what was
six GMD built F40s that were originally GO Transit 510-515. They were sold to Amtrak and were
renumbered 410-415 - overhauled by Conrail. One of the spotting features of the GMD F40s were
the small anti climbers on the front end. VIA's F40s also have this feature. Any idea when and
where this picture was taken?

MACTRAXX
It comes from this article posted in December 2015:
https://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2015/1 ... emeteries/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Location is identified as McDonald, OH which I believe is Larry's Truck Electric (LTEX).