Railroad Forums 

• Green Line Type 10 thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1472692  by BandA

Long-term the "D" Highland Branch should be converted to "subway" equipment rather than trolleys.
 #1472742  by andrewjw

BandA wrote:Long-term the "D" Highland Branch should be converted to "subway" equipment rather than trolleys.
I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to adapt it for Blue Line service, if a connection could be made. That line already has pantographs.
That's not in the scope of this project, however. Without subway construction, this Type 10 proposal can provide many of the benefits of subway operation.
 #1473180  by BandA

I'm the only one proposing converting the "D" line to subway. It's not on the drawing board AFAIK. Certainly easy to convert "D" to high level boarding though! And I was thinking a branch of the Orange Line with pantograph rather than Blue Line. This would make sense as part of a large capacity increase project. Type 10s would be much cheaper.
 #1532618  by type 7 3704

According to the Transithistory roster -

Type 10s

The MBTA has requested bids for 165 Type 10s with options for up to 61 additional cars. Proposals are due 04/15/2020. The proposed design calls for a 7-section, 112-ft long car with a 100% low-floor passenger area or a five-section car that may contain high-floor sections at the ends. Both designs permit an isolated operators cabin which may be high-floor. Type 10s will only operate in trains with other Type 10s, but will have anti-climbers and folding couplers compatible with Type 7s, 8s, and 9s for emergency towing or pushing. The contract includes an option for the builder to be responsible for scrapping all Type 7s and Type 8s. The initial procurement will replace two-car trains of Type 7s and Type 8s with single-car Type 10s. Later options will provide enough Type 10s to operate two-car trains initially on the D and E lines and later on the B and C lines. Delivery of four pilot vehicles would be 43 months after a contract is awarded. Delivery of production vehicles would begin 4.5 years after a contract is awarded and be completed 9 years after contract is awarded.
 #1532636  by MBTA3247

Assuming that one Type 10 really does have the capacity of two Type 7s or 8s, the base order alone represents a significant increase in capacity for the Green Line. If all the options were filled, the new fleet would allow modestly more 2-car trains than is currently possible today, with each train having double the capacity of current trains.
 #1532681  by charlesriverbranch

Replacing a two-car train with a single car eliminates the second operator.

They'll need to have some fare collection system that doesn't require everyone to board at a single door; otherwise, dwell times will be ridiculous.
 #1532686  by jwhite07

With AFC 2.0 there will be no more need to funnel past a farebox when boarding - you will have purchased your ride before you get on and can just tap your farecard at any door. That presumably would allow the Green Line to go to OPTO (one person train operation).
 #1605855  by johnpbarlow

I'm guessing the 7 module Type 10s will look something like the attached photo?
Attachments:
CAF Boston Type10 description 090222.JPG
CAF Boston Type10 description 090222.JPG (147.86 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
 #1605864  by Commuterrail1050

I’ll believe it when I see them for myself! I’m guessing they will look similar to the type 9 fleet. Did they mention if the doors would be the plug sliding or folding doors? Only asking because of the E branch setup sharing the road.
 #1605885  by type 7 3704

The MBTA posted this render on Twitter:

Given how different the CAF Type 9's looked from their early renders these will probably end up looking quite different in the end too.

Also $8 million per car has to be one of the most expensive light rail rolling stock orders out there right?
 #1605889  by nomis

Mod Note: placed a shadow of this thread into our CAF forum under Manufacturers as well.
 #1605908  by bostontrainguy

type 7 3704 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:38 pm The MBTA posted this render on Twitter:

Given how different the CAF Type 9's looked from their early renders these will probably end up looking quite different in the end too.

Also $8 million per car has to be one of the most expensive light rail rolling stock orders out there right?
Right on both counts. I have to say that I am surprised that the skirts on the Type 9s are still in place. I thought that would be the first thing to go.
 #1605923  by bostontrainguy

I think one of the reasons the Highland Branch came into existence was because the "MTA" had a bunch of leftover PCCS after most trolley car routes were converted to buses. Also it was the cheapest and quickest way to start the service.