Railroad Forums 

• Transit Day at the Seashore Trolley Museum

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1446294  by Adams_Umass_Boston

Tomorrow the Seashore Trolley Museum will host its annual Transit day.

I know there are a number of people on this board who will be participating. (Some here have been working very hard to get equipment up and ready) For those who are new, and/or weren't aware, this is a lovely event where some of the best gems of their collection will be out and running around. For the interest of this group, it has been noted that several Boston related equipment will be out and about.

More about the event here from their site - https://trolleymuseum.org/event/transit-day-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And their Facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/neerhs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With nice weather planed, this might just be the event to fill your Saturday with.

Perhaps we can even have a meet up of members? I will be there.

ImageImage
photo courtesy of the SSTM.
 #1446402  by MACTRAXX

A-U-B: Don't forget those of us who are not Facebook members and can not access your pictures...

I found the SSTM picture montage posted above interesting - such as the picture above the 10/7
date of the front of a 1936 Delaware River Bridge Line car alongside a CTA PCC type car showing
the wide variety of preserved equipment that the Shore Line Museum has...MACTRAXX
 #1446407  by MACTRAXX

chrisf wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:A-U-B: Don't forget those of us who are not Facebook members and can not access your pictures...
I viewed them without being signed into Facebook.
CF: On further thought - I checked again and was able to see the pictures without a Facebook wall
blocking them - Thanks for posting, A-U-B. The LIRR MU and #7 NYCT 9327 with its 2000 Subway
Series color scheme are most notable to me...MACTRAXX
 #1446495  by CRail

Discussion of MBTA [and predecessors] related equipment as well as the event itself which emphasized Boston may continue. For other matters Seashore, please refer to Seashore's thread.
 #1446496  by BandA

Great pictures! Those old red line cars (1400s?) were unbearably noisy! I've ridden those ancient blue line cars from the '20s in the '70s, but I don't remember if they were loud or what kind of seats they had.

Those newer blue-line trains - why were they replaced? They look beautiful. How long were they in service? Aren't they similar to the present Orange Line and the older Red Line cars that are still in service?

Too bad they didn't fix the Washington St EL instead of tearing it down; They could have saved a lot of money and there would be two or three more tracks available for the NEC CR & Amtrak.

[OT?] The T ran AM General buses too IIRC. The AM General buses & Flyer buses/trackless trolleys were much wider and had higher passenger capacity than the GM/RTC buses.
 #1446503  by blackcap

The 0600 Blue Line cars, sisters of the 01200/01300 Orange Line cars, at the Museum were in service for 30+ years, from 1978 to 2009, when the last of the 0600’s were replaced by the current 0700-series cars.