Railroad Forums 

• Message I sent to B. Dwyer, head of Green Line Ops.

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#10631  by juni0r75

Hi Gang,
I sent this message toBrian Dwyer regarding the possibility of running a charter with the PCC car at Boylston over the EL before its closed:
I was curious if there were any plans currently in the works for any type of fan trips to sort of say goodbye to the Causeway St. EL? I know that there is a group of "railfanners" who would love to have the chance to take photographs of the EL while it is still in service. Further I was wondering if there were any plans to take out the pantograph-equipped PCC car in storage at Boylston Sta. for a final run on the EL before its closure? If not, is there any chance that a fan trip can be scheduled with that car sometime before the EL is closed? I understand that there would definitely be costs involved to get the car out on the mainline and have someone operate it. How would one go about putting in a formal request for this and get an estimate of price? I understand that since you are running a major mass transit line, a fan trip or charter may not be possible (especially with the PCC car), but any answers you could provide would be most appreciated.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Yours Sincerely,

A.D'Aiello, Jr.
What do people think? Is there a chance....?

-A :D

#10672  by Diverging Route

The Boston Street Railway Association has already schedule a "farewell to the el" fantrip/charter for May 9. They will be using a Boeing LRV, and the trolley will traverse the entire system.

Details at http://members.aol.com/bsra5706/

Using the PCC is a logistical nightmare. It has to be made serviceable (it hasn't run in YEARS); the flyover switch has to be installed, and most importantly, it needs experienced operators who can not only run it, but tend the pole throughout its journey: mainline Green Line trackage has been changed to support pantographs, not poles.

#10712  by typesix

The PCC,3295, does have a pantograph, but yes the other issues remain.

#10723  by Diverging Route

My bad, you're correct: it has both a pantograph and a pole. It's the Type-5 (owned by Seashore, leased to the T for $1/year) that has just poles.