Railroad Forums 

• Geographically accurate subway track map

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1441064  by F-line to Dudley via Park

http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com/_index ... track-map/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very cool new map of the MBTA subway system produced by vanshnookenraggen, who used to post here and is somewhat well-known on the transit interwebs for his series of "Future MBTA" and "Future NYC Subway" maps. His latest creation is a geographically accurate map of the T rapid transit division overlaid with a complete track map, something we've never had before in one package. And the map is annotated with the locations of all the historical vestiges of old abandoned portals/stations/structures, making it a sort of one-stop resource for the system layout at-a-glance. See the link above on van's cartography blog for the full PDF draft. He's taking feedback right now for corrections to ensure full accuracy, and has plans to overlay the inside-128 commuter rail track layout onto v2.0 of this same map after all subway corrections are locked down. Please do provide any constructive feedback (within reason and scope) that'll help with the accuracy & detail.
 #1441073  by BigUglyCat

I have truly missed hearing from vanshnookenraggen. He always posted fascinating stuff. I will definitely check out his map, though I will be astounded if he has missed anything that I know about. :-D

Oh, beautiful work on the map! I'd love to have one of the large format ones, but my budget was blown out in April with a large sump pump problem. Maybe next year! :(
 #1441578  by Stephen

That is fantastic. I would love to get the 4' x 5' version, but I would have to save my nickles for a while.

As I used to live in Oak Square, it would be cool if he had included the Green Line's A branch (and the older end of the E line), but considering how great the work is, those are details I would over look to buy it.

- Stephen
 #1442018  by BostonUrbEx

Why would you add express buses? They have no "rails" (wires included under definition of "rails"). If you add express buses, you'd might as well add all buses, so that doesn't make much sense.

Still some errors, FX the most glaring to me, but I'm sure people are already inundating Van about errors.
 #1442046  by CRail

My comments:

Brattle loop is not non-revenue, passengers are carried around it. Park Street and Government Center loops are non-revenue, though they're used by revenue trips. North Station turnback is schematically correct but it's a poor representation of the layout.

77 does not run Harvard to Waverly, and it should be labeled 77A since the 77 is a bus route that runs through to Arlington Heights (it should be a trackless route, but that's for a different episode). Aberdeen loop and the Benton loop are missing and both Watertown and Waverly loops are backwards (the revenue/non revenue sections in Watertown are particularly inaccurate). Garden St. @ Waterhouse St. (where the 72 trackless meets the Cambridge Common) is a bit goofed as well.

If Rights of Way with no visible remnant are shown (Watertown branch to its entirety, for example), certainly the E line to Aborway should be shown as abandoned. It still shows as "Temporarly Suspended" on quite a few station maps and all line poles are still in place thus "visible infrastructure" remains (most of the track is there too but you can't see it).