Railroad Forums 

• 2017 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1443069  by BostonUrbEx

It was actually just a part of Keolis' expanded Fare is Fair campaign. The new ticket check hires rounded up the customers who didn't have a ticket into the rear coach and then unhitched it from the train.
 #1443144  by MBTA3247

Article from the Boston Globe on the train separation.

If I had to guess, I'd say the coupler pin failed or wasn't seated properly and bounced out. It would be rather unusual (though I'm sure not unheard of) for a knuckle or drawbar to fail on level track, especially on the last car of a train.
 #1444274  by RenegadeMonster

We seem to have invented a new station stop this morning.
Update: Rockport Line Train 104 (6:30 am from Rockport) is operating 5-15 min late between Rover Works and North Station due to a mechanical issue.
I need of a caffeine IV or listening to the Chainsmokers?
 #1445131  by octr202

T alerts and Twitter reporting police on the right of way in Andover. No reasons given, but 219 being bused, 221 held at Anderson. 224 cancelled. Doesn't sound good.
 #1445297  by BandA

According to the Boston Globbe, the fatality was a 17yo Philips Academy day student from Andover. It occurred near 30 or maybe 38 Andover St. Trespasser, foul-play not suspected. http://www.andovertownsman.com/news/and ... eb4e6.html adds:
...about a mile and a half north of the Ballardvale train station, was reported to Andover police at 7:24 p.m. Tuesday, after a call from MBTA Police.

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/update ... 4f808.html
This was the second time in four months that a person was struck and killed by a Haverhill-bound commuter train in this area. Brett Billings, 24, of Andover was hit by a train at the Sutton Street crossing in North Andover in May.
 #1445379  by BandA

What is the problem, are pedestrian/road crossings too far apart? Thrill seekers? Suicides? People confused by new higher speeds or frequencies? Are the T trains too quiet & the sneak up on trespassers? Perhaps there is need for root-cause analysis. Deploying more police isn't the solution for pedestrian strikes in most cases.
 #1445442  by RenegadeMonster

Wonder if headphones could be to blame. Everywhere I go I see people walking around with headphones on oblivious to their surroundings.

This morning the Transit Police were at Salem handing out Train Safety Goody Bags. "See Tracks? Think Train™" / "Operation Lifesaver® - Look, Listen & Live" / http://www.oli.org

The goody bag had a pamphlet on train safety and a keychain and pen with the "See Tracks? Think Train™" logos on them.
Last edited by RenegadeMonster on Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1445459  by GP40MC1118

Unfortunately a lot of these incidents are suicides. Some just equally unfortunate errors in judgement (I can/gotta get across).
It's been a bad year - not much you can do about the former. Maybe better education on the latter.

D
 #1445505  by RenegadeMonster

Was there another trespasser strike tonight? At the very least it's a rough night for the Lowell line.
Shuttle buses will replace Lowell Train 344 (8:45p from Lowell) between Lowell & North Billerica due to police activity on the right of way.

Lowell Update: Train 339 will terminate at North Billerica due to police activity. Shuttle bus service will be provided to Lowell Station.

Lowell Train 339 (7:25p from North Station) will terminate at North Billerica due to police activity on the right of way. Updates to follow.

Lowell Trn 342 (7:32p from Lowell) is canceled today due to police activity on the right of way. Psgrs can consider Trn 344 (8:45p inbound).

Lowell Train 337 (6:30 pm from North Station) is stopped near Lowell Station due to police activity on the right of way. Updates to follow.