Railroad Forums 

• The Lost Station at Northeastern

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1416810  by rhodiecub2

Has anyone heard of a lost station at Northeastern? Was this supposed to be an underground when they intended to put the "E" line underground on Huntington Ave? I saw this information about this supposed lost station on this website.

https://www.thrillist.com/lifestyle/bos ... sachusetts
 #1416818  by dieciduej

Yes and No!

The ramp for the Huntington Ave subway was built out of wooden beams over an open pit. This was done for a possible extension of the subway tunnel further down Huntington Ave. The shell of the subway walls were built as far as the southern end of today's Northeastern Station.

Ref: BSRA Bulletin 23, "Streetcar Lines of the Hub - The 1940's Heyday of Electric Transit in Boston" pg 96

JoeD
 #1416884  by jwhite07

The pit was filled in and the trestle removed sometime in the early 80s in anticipation of future operation of Type 7s on the Huntington Avenue line, because the Type 7 was much heavier than previous streetcar designs (85,000 lb vs 67,000 lb for a Boeing LRV and ~40,000 lb for a PCC).
 #1416949  by MBTA3247

My guess would be higher crash-worthiness standards.
 #1417015  by jwhite07

My guess would be higher crash-worthiness standards.
Could be that in part, yes. Bear in mind the weight of an SLRV I quoted was as-built per spec sheet, not modded with Sutrak or Vapor AC units or anything else done to them over the years.

The Type 7 is also another generation in technology and thus a much more complex vehicle than the SLRV. All that technology is fed by computers, modules, electrical wire, and stuff, and all of that stuff has weight. A lot of weight, once you consider there are MILES of wiring in an SLRV and probably twice as much or more than that in a Type 7.